View post (Cheap vs. Expensive Guitars: Four Common Misconceptions)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/10/2012 1:19 am
I agree with the essay (another good one, wildwoman!) and understand and sympathize with the two 'testimonies' that follow it. But what of the beginner? What can we suggest for the beginner that hasn't developed an ear...that hasn't heard a bunch of different guitars from a bunch of different manufacturers...or hasn't found that 20, 30 or 50-year old guitar at a garage sale or an estate auction? What of a beginner that doesn't yet recognize the sound and playability of a really good instrument over an average one?

I think a beginner (perhaps any level player) can be well served exactly by following the herd, i.e., buying a make/model that has a reputation for good sound and good quality. "Buy the most you can afford" is an old strategy that works for those starting out and one that often leads to makes and models that are either expensive or have a reputation for good sound for the bucks or both. And it's not a bad method for a newbie (or parents of a newbie) to follow.

Then there's EBay, Craig's List and all the dozens of online guitar sale points trafficing thousands of guitars...not a one tried out before purchase.

Until one gains a bunch of experience and develops an ear, one is is going to need a lot of help, be it 'marketing' or other musicians, to make their "own choice." IMO. ;)
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins