Relative Minor Chords

hdoran
Full Access
hdoran
Full Access
05/30/2012 2:44 pm
In the following song tutorial, Geoff indicates that the song, Are you gonna be my girl, is in the key of A minor.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=15283&s_id=1053

A minor is the relative minor of C major and so I believe (other than the root note), all notes and chords of C major are in A minor.

Now, the song has as its first chord A major, which is not a chord in the key of C.

The song also includes, in the chorus, a D major barre chord on the 10th position. Again, D major is not a chord in the key of C (or A minor).

Have I misunderstood relative minors and their relationship to the relative major or is there another reason why these chords are in the key of A minor?
# 1
gdengelbrecht
gdengelbrecht
06/07/2012 8:20 pm
Originally Posted by: hdoranIn the following song tutorial, Geoff indicates that the song, Are you gonna be my girl, is in the key of A minor.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=15283&s_id=1053

A minor is the relative minor of C major and so I believe (other than the root note), all notes and chords of C major are in A minor.

Now, the song has as its first chord A major, which is not a chord in the key of C.

The song also includes, in the chorus, a D major barre chord on the 10th position. Again, D major is not a chord in the key of C (or A minor).

Have I misunderstood relative minors and their relationship to the relative major or is there another reason why these chords are in the key of A minor?

Sometimes musicians use chords out of the key. These would be called secondary dominant chords. I am not sure about the particular song etc but it often helps to look at what comes after those chords to see what is going on.

After an A would maybe be an Em and after that D a G would sound good.
# 2
Greg Trotter
Greg Trotter
08/06/2012 10:44 am
I don't know the specific lesson, but when I have played that song, I have used only power chords, and not specific major/minor chords.
So it looks like the song is in A minor. However, if some of the chords are as you say, A major and D major, the use of the A minor pentatonic over the top of these chords would give it a real blues/rock sound.
# 3
guitarjock
Full Access
guitarjock
Full Access
08/16/2012 2:47 pm
In the video the instructor says "This song is in A minor", I believe he is talking about the lead guitar breaks in Am pentatonic.

However, If you look at the sheet music for the lesson, the key signature is 3 sharps, which would indicate A major.

There are natural signs cancelling out the sharps to make what would be a C#m chord a C major. The natural signs also give you the G major chord.

I would look at it as modulating (changing keys) from A major to G major for that bridge section. The E major chord would be the V chord in (the key of) A major.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.