setting up my new system

friskynibbles
friskynibbles
04/05/2002 5:03 pm
ha, fooled ya! actually my new system is the one i'm puting in my new truck. seeing as you're all music nuts, i'm sure you know about stereo equipment.
my new kit:
Pioneer 200W CD Deck
2 Pioneer 6x9 in boxes, 200W
2 Stock Speakers
My new wiring harness doesn't have an inline fuses or anything, but there is a fuse in the back of the new deck.
The old wiring in the truck has some inline fuses (.5A, 3A) and a static box or something.
Yesterday we wired it all together (with the inline fuses and static box present) and started that sucker up. At low volume everything was peachy - I turned it up and it died. Upon checking the fuses, I saw that the .5A one was baked alaska. I assume my deck is fine because the fuse in the back of it is ok.
Anyway, the question is - should I put higher rated fuses in there (10A?) or should I remove the inline fuses... or what? Any ideas?
-Daniel
# 1
James8831
James8831
04/05/2002 5:32 pm
I am no electronics expert.. I advise an auto electrician first and foremost.

Having said that I guess that if you can work out the amperage drawn from the section in question by using ohm's law.

Which is V[E]=IXR.

V= Voltage
I= Amperage (current)
R= Resistance.

Here is an example with a 12 volt system and 4ohm speakers
you would be drawing 3 amps (3X4=12), BUT!! there are many reasons that this might not apply to your Truck , your amplifier may have a transformer which draws a higher voltage, your speakers may be (commonly) 4 or 8 ohm AND could be wired series OR parrelel (spl) -which means a different resistance again!! etc,etc,etc.

I have had no problem using these calculations on low amperage active speaker systems (DC) at home, but having had a Yamaha 250 burn it's wiring out underneath me (waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back) I know auto electrics can be extremely...worrying.

Maybe if you talk to your local garage nicely they'll advise you for free.

Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 2
friskynibbles
friskynibbles
04/05/2002 8:37 pm
thanks, i went to autosound plus and they told me to cut all those damn fuses out - if they didn't come with the deck & harness, i don't need 'em.
thanks again,
-Daniel
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/06/2002 7:00 pm
I feel you on the paint thing. Of course, I have a whole freakin' Econoline to repaint one of these days.

Something tells me I'll just sand down the bad spots and hit it with some primer in a couple of months. I actually kinda like that "white trash" look.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.