Laurence Juber (Wings) Last Night

JeffS65
JeffS65
05/20/2012 5:39 pm
I must say that I had quite the experience yesterday...

If you're not familiar, Laurence Juber was with Paul McCartney and Wings from '79 to '81. However, he has been around the major side of the music world for much longer as a studio musician (he is that cool twangy surf riff for the opening of the 007 'Spy Who Loved Me'). He also has two Grammy's for solo guitar for his acoustic finger picking, which is at the heart -n- soul of what he is now...

He had a great show last night and I was there...his ability to play is astounding and otherworldly. It is an ability that few in this world are blessed with. A fantastic show.

...however, that was not the best part. He was performing at the Chicago Old Town School of Folk Music (don't let the name fool you...it is much more than folk..) which is an institution dedicated to teaching all comers stuff about all aspects of music.

Laurence had a workshop yesterday afternoon for about 10 people...including me. I brought my new Fender T-Bucket and was astounded...What I saw in his evening preformance was almost nothing (and his performance is like nothing you've ever seen..) compared to the workshop.

Sure, he knew all the Beatles and had those stories but, up close and in a casual context, watching him work through his command of the instrument to provide us mortals a reference to the point he was making was nothing more that 'jaw-on-the-floor' unbelievable. Not only physically capable but understands how to play lyrically and the chord voicings that best suit it...and he sat there working through alternate voicings he'd never tried and still was nothing less than amazing.....I won't even get started on the song writing aspect. It was quite a workshop.

I could yammer on for hours (and have with my wife..poor thing)...BUT, my GT peeps...If you have a chance to ever see his show....GO! Better yet, if he ever teaches somewhere...DO NOT MISS IT! It will both make you sad because he is that good and you aren't...but also soooo inspiring and encouraging.

See the link for a snippet of Laurence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLrv7-cIwz4
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
06/04/2012 9:17 pm
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the post, I was able to talk with him briefly at NAMM but I haven't heard him play like you did and I would love to. Wings is an old favorite of mine, such great songs and musicianship!
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.