View post (OLD learners Look here)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
02/27/2012 12:09 am
Originally Posted by: wingman23Having not read it myself i cant say for sure, but it seems to me reading review of it that it is more about the brain being able to learn at a later age rather than some in depth teaching aid..

Oh, I absolutely agree with you there. What I was getting at was that from what I've seen, they are toting it as partly a "learn to play guitar" book. What amazes me is that people seem to get all amped up about this book, and they haven't even heard him play... one of the reviewers had heard him, and said he couldn't really play at all! If he had picked the violin, flute, or even piano, I don't think there would be the hype there is... I think he picked guitar because there are so many people out there that want to know the *secret* to guitar playing. In the article John linked to the title says "Guitar Zero to Real Guitar Hero"... guitar "hero"???.... really?

What's the point anyways? You said it... if you're passionate about it, age doesn't matter. If this guy concludes that yes, you can learn to play a musical instrument when you're older, do we really need to read a whole book to get that assurance? Sounds like some people do, but I don't. And if he concluded that you can't learn an instrument at that age, I wouldn't listen to him either... there's no secret... it just takes time and practice, which apparently he admits in his book...wow, big revelation there. I think the $15 would be better spent on a month membership at GT, where you could download a ton of lessons and actually get on with learning to play guitar.