how good were you, again...

Jimmy Page XVI
Jimmy Page XVI
03/24/2002 8:07 pm
I have seen an earlier post about how good were you when you were 16 years old. Now I want to take that post a bit further and ask how good were you when you had about one to two years of experience since starting to play the guitar? I think this post will allow more people to post their thoughts. Therefore, I am interested more a less at what type of genre where you playing, what songs did you play, what theory were you learning or had you learned, etc. Post anything you feel like posting here...
# 1
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
03/24/2002 8:34 pm
When I was 16 i had been playing for 2 years. (I'm now nearly 19 if your wondering....) I was obsessed with metal and spent hours taking Metallica songs to pieces. My friend who taught me also had me onto the past-masters like Led Zep and Hendrix so I had some of that style as well....although i didnt really appreciate how valuable things like the blues were until later....once you've got the blues scales and learned how to improvise them I simply applied them when learning metal songs and found i could play in a much more compact and fluent way. What I do now is largely the same style but a lot of my repetoir comes from Rush who i discovered a little later on and got hooked on.

How good was I? Good enough for a band but nothing special. How good am I now: I only ever play to myself so i couldnt really say....

What songs do I play...ummm, ok here goes:

Metallica: Slither; Ride the Lightening, Disposable Heros; Helpless (a diamond head cover); Unforgiven; My Friend of Misery; Carpe Diem Baby; Where the Wild things are; Bleeding me; The 4 Horsemen.

Zeppelin: Whole lotta love; Dazed and confused; Stairway to heaven; Black Dog.

Deep Purple: Perfect Strangers; Stormbringer; Child in Time, Emmeretta; Black Night; Strange Kinda Woman

Megadeth: Lucretia, Tornado of Souls; Reckoning Day; Black Curtains; The Conjuring, Disconnect, Dread and The Fugitive Mind.

Hendrix: Voodoo Child slight return (Although nowadays I work from SRV's version coz its way better); Red House; Stepping Stone.

Rush: Spirit of the Radio; Here Again; What You're doing; Working Man; Dreamline; Limelight; By-Tor and the SnowDog; The Camera Eye; Natural Science (my favourite play-along track); Jacob's Ladder; Driven; Bravado; Analog Kid; Digital Man; The Big Money; Test For Echo....(i've tried loads more but those are the main ones)

Smashing Pumpkins: Siva; Rhinocerous; Cherub Rock; Today.

I could sit here typing this list all night.......thats just to give you an idea :)
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 2
Barreta_jetstream1
Barreta_jetstream1
03/24/2002 8:52 pm
ask me this again in a few years. ok i have been playing for 7 years but i am only 15 at the min so i can't realy answer
Tandem Felix
# 3
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
03/24/2002 11:31 pm
Originally posted by Barreta_jetstream1
ask me this again in a few years. ok i have been playing for 7 years but i am only 15 at the min so i can't realy answer

Youve been playin since you were 8?

www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 4
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
03/24/2002 11:35 pm
you must realize that it doesnt really matter if you started at 8 or not, most kids that start at age 8 arent better than people who start at 13 or 14
# 5
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
03/25/2002 12:07 am
why do you hate folk?
# 6
river
river
03/25/2002 5:37 am
some folks i hate, some i just dont like much
# 7
Barreta_jetstream1
Barreta_jetstream1
03/25/2002 6:56 pm
Youve been playin since you were 8?

has it realy beem that long?? it sounds ages when you say it like that. its scary to think that in only 4 months i will have been playing the guitar in my life as long as i havent been playing it, if you get my drift.
Tandem Felix
# 8

03/26/2002 5:35 pm

I learned theory really late. probably after 8 years of playing.

After two years I was still into metal, learning a lot of songs. That's pretty much what I was doing. No theory, no jamming, just learning songs.

I was starting some Yngwie Malmsteen. Naturally I didn't have the skills but I tried. Emphysis on TRIED.

Quite sad isn't it. Not much to say.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.