View post (a chord)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/15/2012 6:52 pm
Originally Posted by: bikerbob5108 I get fret buzz or dead strings.
I think a lot of times when we're trying to fret chords that we have difficulty with, there's a tendency to hit the chord, hear those kinds of problems and think "ah crap! this chord is killing me!" and stop... then try again maybe a few times with the same issues. Instead, break the chord down... add just one finger of the chord at a time, and pluck that string and any open strings that will be in the actual chord. Do it very slowly, listening for buzz or muted strings. Then add the next finger of the chord, and repeat the process. Keep going until you have all of the fingering down. If when you add a finger, you get issues, take the offending finger away, make sure you're playing everything else fine, then add the finger and look to see what the problem is... usually either your finger is touching a string it shouldn't be, or you are not pressing down hard enough with the culprit finger. Remember, you're doing all this very slowly and methodically. Your aim should be to get the chord perfect before you start full-out strumming. When you're strumming along in a song is not the time to be working out chord fingering issues. Its something that takes time, and you have to make a conscious effort to work on it. The reward is that your chords will sound a lot cleaner, and also that you may find chords that were previously "nearly impossible" to come fairly easily. They always seem hard the first time you try them.