MIDI-Archives on GT?

Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
03/23/2002 2:18 pm
Hey!

I was just wondering if it was possible to open a Guitar Midi Archive here on GT.. same as the "your tricks" section,only that peeps can upload midifiles of their fav songs, ter own compositions, or whatever floats their boat (should have at least something to do with guitars) plus uploading the tabs and maybe the full note-sheets (.jpg) and powertab files.

What do you think?

COMMENTS PLEASE!

-=[Azrael]=-

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/24/2002 2:35 am
That sounds like a good idea. It also sounds expensive, in terms of the server required to host that stuff.

How much use would these features actually get? Does Jon find himself in the crosshairs of some publisher's gunsights over ownership/royalty issues? Who is responsible for ensuring that people only post their own compositions? How much advertising are we prepared to live with? Are we willing to get into paid subscriptions and related headaches? And what about Mary-Sue?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
03/24/2002 11:50 am
Are we willing to kill it before we even tried it? *L*

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/24/2002 8:30 pm
...and what about Mary-Sue?...

I'm sorry, Azrael, in my work I spend a lot of time tidying up after some engineering committee has turned a potentially good product into a tangled impossibility. I routinely list all the problems, and then start knocking 'em down.

I am concerned about ownership and copywright issues. The Biz is hurting, these days, and looking to hurt percieved threats. I don't want to expose this wonderful site to the kind of grief that Napster endured.

Ideally, your proposal would give us a place to conduct our online collaborations on-site. I'd like that a lot!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
03/24/2002 11:41 pm
hey hey - iĀ“m not talking about posting illegal copyrighted midifiles of famous bands tht will sue us and whilpe out GT. I am talking about a section like the normal contrubutors section where u can upload several stuff.. i mean look a t http://www.midiworld.com for example.. have they been sured by anyone?

-=[Azrael]=-

# 5
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
03/25/2002 3:31 am
yes az, they have been sured by everyone

:)

# 6
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
03/25/2002 11:48 am
AAAAAAHRGHH!!! *explodes*

:D

# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/26/2002 2:18 am
Originally posted by Azrael
AAAAAAHRGHH!!! *explodes*

:D
...was it something we said? :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8

03/26/2002 5:28 pm

This site contains midi files from original artists. If you see your work posted without permission, please advise us and we'll take it out. blah blah blah.....

Could they still sued the site. I mean if we make it clear that the site is for posting original compositions and not "commercial" stuff. At the least they would have to inform us.

Just an idea.
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/26/2002 6:49 pm
Sadly, it all comes down to lawyer's opinions. The opinion of Jon's lawyers about what he's allowed to have on his site, versus the opinion of The Biz's lawyers about what they can sue over. Obviously, if someone post's their own work, its OK. Problems happen with samples, tabs, and written music that was not composed by the member who posted it. And I'm pretty sure that Jon does not have time to make absolutely sure that doesn't happen. But you can be very sure that the publisher of some pirated music would find a lawyer that did have time to cause all manner of problems for this site. Its a bitch.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.