View post (Do you write music that suits your age?)

View thread

kingdavid
kingdavid
04/02/2002 10:53 am
Originally posted by PonyOne
...... I've met ten year olds with great taste in music, you know. I've met forty year olds who have terrible taste in music (madonna, shania twain, etc).

Trust me to notice the trivialest of things in a post but,you met Madona?And Shania?I'm asking coz being in their concerts isn't qualified as "meeting":D
kingdavid says,in avery small mickey mouse voice:"Juss Kidding".He simultaneously gives a very disarming smile.Leave the smile there.And now I'm not kidding.:)
But seriously,I think educated is right about this confusion with age.I think the correct question should be
Do you write music that reflects your [u]experiences[/u]?
(And if this doesn't work,the U's you see here were meant to underline the word experiences.if you don't see any U's,then it worked).
I see 13 yr old kids talking about love(like wifey,husband,man to woman love,not parental or friends love)and can't help laughing;what on earth does he know.But then again,what do I know?Some of the experiences under 10 yrs olds in war torn countries have been through would scare any whatever-yr old in other places.Bottom line is,the idea should be to be honest with yourself(and with your audience)when you write what you write.Without,as Bardsley(?)says,the fear of failure or rejection.Being true to your heart,not to what you heard David Bowie or Bob Dylan sing.Or what you heard _______ (fill the blank with your most admired player) played.
That's the only way to let people experience you.If they wanted to experience your idol,they too know where the music store is.It's also the only way to give those 13 yr olds a break.If that's what they really feel,then so be it.Personally I doubt it,but if it is,then,well,so be it.