View post (Do you write music that suits your age?)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/23/2002 6:19 pm
I think the age factor comes into play simply because that determines what music you've been exposed to. There's been music in my life for as long as I can remember, which means I was listening to the Country and Rockabilly stuff that was on the radio before I started school. My mother would sing me to sleep with songs she remembered from her youth, (which wasn't all that long before my birth). As I was growing up, I was used to hearing my father's jazz, show-tunes, and movie soundtracks, plus the early attempts by Rock'n'Roll to get airtime. By the time I was a teen ager, The Rock Revolution was in full flower. Then early Metal, Disco :o :p Punk, Hair Bands, New Country, Grunge, Blues revival, Techno, Dance, Rap, and these days of total market fragmentation.

I write what I feel. That can be anything from moody, 'movie soundtrack' kind of stuff, to bouncy jazz numbers, to stuff that sounds like previously unreleased tracks by Peter Townsend or Jimmy Page.

Given the depth of my musical experience, I probably do reflect my age in my music. But that doesn't mean that I only do 'old fart's' music.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons