beginner question about strings

minexs
Full Access
minexs
Full Access
12/02/2011 5:37 am
ok this might have already been covered but i couldnt find it.

i have some dunlop acoustic strings on my cheap monterey, 10/14/22/30/40/48 gauge.

now i have been noticing (other than they go out of tune quickly) that the g string feels 'soft' ie unless i am right behind the fret (i know that's where i should be but some chords don't easily allow for it) the string doesn't work, it feels like i'am going to snap the neck if i push any harder,

has anyone else come across this before,

i'll swap the string out soon and see if that sorts it.

or is it more likly to be the guitar being a cheap beginner model, (side note it sounds out of tune the whole time even when its in tune.)

thanks

peter
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
12/02/2011 10:06 am
I don't quite understand how the neck feels like it is goiong to snap, but you are on the right track replacing strings.

I would recommend replacing all of them. Strings "die" quite fast, but sometimes there is a misunderstanding by new players that they last a really long time. Unfortunately, they do not.

The "elasticity" changes, and they are harder to keep in tune. They sound dead, and damaged strings can cause fret buzz and be hard to intonate.

Definitely worth putting on a new set. You might take the guitar in to a shop and get a set up as well. One thing I find is the less expensive models are usually quite good guitars after a little tweak here and there. A few passes with a nut file in the right situation can make a huge difference.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
hunter1801
hunter1801
12/02/2011 5:31 pm
Not really understanding what you mean by it feeling "soft" and not working. Does it buzz? Is it dead/muted?

Also, like Razbo mentioned, I don't see how the neck feels like it's going to snap. Even in an over-exaggerated sense, you shouldn't be pulling/pushing on the neck in any way at all for it to feel like it would snap.
# 3
minexs
Full Access
minexs
Full Access
12/03/2011 1:45 am
i was over exaggerating regarding the neck, it was more to identify that i was having to push really hard on the strings if i was in the middle of the fret to get the note but that isn't even enough, i have to be right behind the fret on 'G,B,e' strings other wise i cant pull a note, 'Am' for instance, trying to hold the B string is hard due to a finger being on the G at the same point.

i'll replace all the strings in a bit and see if that helps, i'll check the frets as well to make sure thier lvl, and see how that goes.

and yes hunter the strings buzz and feel dead, thier not clear ringing.

ty both for the help i'll keep you updated.

cheers

peter
# 4
hunter1801
hunter1801
12/03/2011 2:35 am
I would think it's one of 2 problems. The first and most obvious would be that one of your other fingers is touching the string when you are playing a chord and it's not letting the string ring out. If it happens when you are ONLY playing 1 string and nothing else, then this wouldn't be the issue.

The second problem I would think would be that the guitar neck bent/curved too much. There should be a very slight bow in the neck (not a perfectly straight neck like a lot of people assume). If it is curved too much in either direction, it will affect the way the guitar plays. A curve that goes in towards the strings will quickly deaden frets. A truss rod adjustment would be needed if this is the problem, but don't touch the truss rod unless you know what you are doing or you could seriously damage the guitar.
# 5
minexs
Full Access
minexs
Full Access
12/03/2011 7:09 am
ok i have replaced the strings and it has made about a 50% improvment but its still not right, i'll get it into the shop next week and find out whats happening with it.

thanks for your help guy will let you know what the shop says.

cheers

peter
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.