View post (Newbie signing in)

View thread

adir olf
adir olf
11/17/2011 3:24 am
Originally Posted by: cisconhHi,

Been to many concerts over the years. ...

I have always wanted to learn to play and at 52, I hope it is not too late to learn. I just purchased a Takamine S33 Jasmine Acoustic Guitar which should arrive Saturday. Can't wait to get started. I know basically zip about music theory so I have a long road ahead.

Hi cisconh

as mentioned in a previous reply, there does seem to be several of us "older" ones here and several of us had all said the same thing.... "are we too old" "is it too late".
Its funny!

I have learned that the GT theme song is called "it's never too late" (I just learned that song in Lisa's fingerpicking series). how funny is that!
I think it must be that we are all mature enough now to actually focus on and stick with something that excites us. that's my philosophy.

I started in '09 and between family, jobs, kids, animals it has taken me awhile to get very far, but by george, I have.

re: concerts... I have discovered some awesome young folk with what I call sophisticated rebellion music (I may be older but still a rebel)... they are my favorite and are called The Airborne Toxic Event. I find that alot of "old" people like me seem to really like them. for some reason these youngin's music really connect more so than any other band I've listened to in my last 40 years.
another young great group that plays blues - rock is Another Kind of Magick. they are a group of really young kids that my kids go to school with and quite frankly I was floored by them the other night when i saw them locally. I just can't phathom the skill they contain. They can be found on you tube.

and one last suggestion.... Anders Osborne.. he is awesome! similar to some of the bands you mentioned.

Okay, enough babbling... I love to share my favorite bands with others so anyone reading this please look up those bands and share your thoughts!

P.s.s. I just looked up Dick Dale. is this the right guy: http://www.dickdale.com/
I am always looking for new music...

adir
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw