Wow... what happened to this site

RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
11/23/2011 7:07 pm
Originally Posted by: AzraelThere is, however, one very big advantage to this Board compared to many others that i have been to (on various topics). The level is and has always been a very high one in terms of social competence. Hardly any flamewars, mindless arguing, trolling etc.

Looking at the topography of todays internet, this is a VERY valuable and rare thing.

Yup, I agree 100% with that. There is a well known guitar site out there (name to remain nameless) that drove me away in the first day of checking it out because of all the nonsense.

Having said that, I will admit though that I wish this forum had a bit more of a community feel to it. There is not a lot of interaction between folks here.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/23/2011 10:09 pm
It has been more than a few years since the Guitartricks the op mentions existed. There was a core group of members who were pretty close, friends even. Guys and gals who did things like send deer jerky to each other or even got married. For me that was the high point of the forum as a community and something that will likely never happen again.

That's ok because Jon realized that while we were having a lot of fun most of it was inappropriate for his target audience. The site was attracting more older users and kids whose parents might not like the things that were going on at the time. Jon made a decision based on what was best for his consumer base. I can respect that and others who were there and miss that time should to. As for the lessons yes they are geared towards beginners and I'm sure that is a business decision as well. Advanced experienced players don't come to the Internet for lessons. Beginners do. Simple as that. That said there are still high difficulty lessons to be had if you seek them out.

So the Golden Era of the forum may have passed but the site has plenty to offer those who want to learn and that is all that really matters.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
sieg2
sieg2
12/22/2011 8:48 pm
I totally disagree with the negative sentiment of some respondents.

Guitar tricks posts more lessons and songs than any other online sites and the instruction is first rate. Moreover, this site caters for a broad range of musical tastes and abilities.
# 3
rnjae
rnjae
12/23/2011 9:50 pm
But I am one of those beginners - and feel that the time GT takes to teach the basic technique and theory is very important to the to the aspiring Guitar player, I tried and use other sites that do not do to well at explaining how, when and why for the beginner . I suspect that there is probably no less than 3 years worth of sturdy here at GT before one could call themselves a “player” but yet to be a professional.
I hope some Day to be as skilled as you seem to be, then I think I would also seek out like peers and the talented contacts. But, I wound not criticize, but phrase a site such as GT- that seeks to teach the Guitarist properly. I think we all have experienced the poor sounds of a player musician/ singer who think they have talent and do not know their weakness. (Such is very disturbing to anyone with any knowledge of music) Thankful, that GT is here to show us how, when and why of Guitar playing - that we to do it right.
# 4
hemnair75
hemnair75
12/24/2011 5:08 am
this site is great. have been playing for years and still find plenty of stuff to learn on here. who cares what the instrutor looks like? that is so petty and dumb. so you are a master of all the styles? can play anything? am a death metal guitarist that has been studying classical for 5 years. in other words am pretty damn good and would tip my hat to just bout any instrutor here just for the fact that they try and can teach me a thing or two still. my metal horns to you GT.
# 5
chriswilder
chriswilder
12/26/2011 2:02 pm
I guess ypu have just made it! Your front row! your hollywood! Your no one i would ever want to meet, jam with, admit that i know, actually im sure your mother doesnt even like you, an she likes everyone that i know of.
# 6
perry.black
Full Access
perry.black
Full Access
12/27/2011 3:19 pm
Who really cares what this guy has to say. I, as well as everyone else, have spent enough energy on his comments. Hey man if you are that good why are you on a sight for learning.................
# 7
G1619T
Full Access
G1619T
Full Access
12/29/2011 1:39 am
Well, everyone has one. I've been playing for over 50 years and in between raised kids, ful-filled my military duty, worked hard, went to University (over many years) and even made some money playing the occasional gig. The last band I was in was basically a garage band but we played steady gigs over a 12 year period. Moms happy I finally started to pay for my gear with money I earned using it, the kids get to eat more you get the picture. But, over the years I have found myself occasionally being out of touch with the current genre. When my son asked for lessons, I started to give him lessons, but, I needed help. Guitar Tricks was the answer. I learned more than he did and I'm able to learn new tricks to get things done that us old timers had to do the hard way. Plus I can add to my reperotoire.
All of you great players out their, (I don't mean shedders), should have it made. You can start making money doing what we all love, making music.
Regards,
Steven
# 8
OpenStrum
OpenStrum
12/30/2011 2:45 am
this site is great and way better than other online guitar lesson sites.
I have an actual guitar teacher in real life but I still love using this site as well learning new stuff and my teacher even helps me sometimes with stuff I want to learn from this site.
I highly enjoy it, it's great.
as the saying goes...you can't make everyone happy. Oh well.

# 9
Beach1
Beach1
01/03/2012 3:33 am
I love the feeling I get when I am playing online with GT! I have taken group lessons in the past after trying to go at it alone. I really appreciate the Core's lesson format. I seem to have missed a few of the basics with group lessons that the Core system provides me as a beginner. The Forum has been great as I have learned something new everytime I'm on the Forum. Best wishes for everyone's 2012 and beyond guitar journey!

Beach1
# 10
dazzler99
dazzler99
01/09/2012 11:46 am
I personally also think that this site is much better than the other guitar lessons websites
http://www.saxclass.com
online saxophone lessons
# 11
HAWMANIA
HAWMANIA
01/14/2012 2:22 am
Please allow me to apologize, on behalf of all Canadians, for this guy.
# 12
dman4505
dman4505
01/14/2012 6:13 pm
Originally Posted by: HAWMANIAPlease allow me to apologize, on behalf of all Canadians, for this guy.

No need to apologize not all Canucks are as wacko as this guy.
I've been a member of this site for a couple years now, still a beginner, and think it's great. There's a lot to learn on here and the instructors are top notch in my book.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. - John Wooden

Reputation is what other perceive you as being, and their opinion may be right or wrong. Character, however, is what you really are, and nobody truly knows that but you. But you are what matters most. - John Wooden
# 13
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
01/14/2012 6:43 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardAs a full, paying member I find the OP offensive and I would appreciate seeing this entire thread removed from the forum. It serves no utility for those of us actually supporting this site.

As do I - I think an IP ban is in order, to be honest. The OP is undermining GT drastically.

Fyi, OP, I'm following the Core Learning System as a beginner and I find it to be crucially fundamental towards helping me develop my passion in guitar.

As others have stated, just log out and study elsewhere, if you feel you do not belong here. Simples.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 14
newfjustlearning
newfjustlearning
01/16/2012 3:57 am
Playing for 20 years... not the best, closer to the worst. This site saved me. I hope that makes the OP too sick to ever want to show his ignorance in this dimension again, Keep up the good work GT and all the beautiful instructors,

I just signed up last week and I hope I got another 20years left in me to contribute to your growth and hopefully the beginnings of a new community. I'm here to stay! I think the OP has strengthend this site unwillingly, Gotta Love it!!

Cheers,

Joe
# 15
79Raider
Full Access
79Raider
Full Access
02/11/2012 4:21 am
I became a member back in Aug. This is the first time i've tried on-line lessons. I can't imagine it being handled or presented much better. The song choices are perfect for me and I'm completely impressed by the instructors. Most attempt to capture and present every nuance of the guitarists playing style. That's exactly what I needed at this point. Details, precision, accurate song translations. This guy's first post is so odd I'd like to be able to see what he thought was better back in the day. Honestly, I hate I took the time to read the whole thread.
# 16
Harold1949
Harold1949
02/11/2012 10:36 pm
The worst behavior is the personal attack. The "pro guitarist", wants to attack the lessons, the level of musical ability, and just about anything that he wants to get off his chest.

Ok, go somewhere else. I have been playing since 1967, and find this site a wonderful mixture of musical levels.

I am always amazed at individuals who attack verbally anything that isn't tailored just for them.

I am sorry your manners are such that you personally offend the quality of instruction on Guitar Tricks.

in answer...Wow..what happened to your manners??
# 17
IntrepidDad
IntrepidDad
02/14/2012 3:36 am
Originally Posted by: Harold1949The worst behavior is the personal attack. The "pro guitarist", wants to attack the lessons, the level of musical ability, and just about anything that he wants to get off his chest.

Ok, go somewhere else. I have been playing since 1967, and find this site a wonderful mixture of musical levels.

I am always amazed at individuals who attack verbally anything that isn't tailored just for them.

I am sorry your manners are such that you personally offend the quality of instruction on Guitar Tricks.

in answer...Wow..what happened to your manners??

Where's the "Like" button?
# 18
iainmoff
iainmoff
02/19/2012 10:18 pm
Looks like somebody else who wants everything for nothing on the internet and when they don't get it, it's rubbish etc etc.
Heard it all before.
What else are you going to get for $15 a month or so. Coming from Scotland where a half hour lesson with a teacher is in the region of £20 (about 30 bucks?) that's more than just a bargain.
People like this should just shut up and play their guitar.
Somewhere else.

Don't normaly do forums but this pi$$ed me off
# 19
hrandersoniii
hrandersoniii
02/20/2012 8:32 pm
Yup, guitar lessons aren't cheap ANYWHERE unless you can find someone to teach you out of the goodness of their heart.
I gave my grandson my Strat this past Christmas. I looked into finding some lessons for him. The cheapest I could find (since his parents are strapped for cash) was $60 for 2 lessons for the month... half hour each! Well, since they thought that the lessons were too much, I started showing him how to read notations, teach him the chords etc... He's picking up on it very fast!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.