note changes

usarmymedicine
usarmymedicine
11/08/2011 12:08 am
I noticed lately that when I go from one note to another I am inadvertently performing a pull-off, resulting in an extra undesired note. Not sure if it's me or the guitar (pretty sure its me). Maybe I just need to slow down. Any suggestions?
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/08/2011 1:56 am
Originally Posted by: usarmyaviationI noticed lately that when I go from one note to another I am inadvertently performing a pull-off, resulting in an extra undesired note.

The problem you are having is due to lack of muting.

If you are playing single note lines (scales, melodies), then you should use two approaches.

1. As much as possible keep your fingertips in contact with the strings. Do not completely remove your finger off of the string. You want to release just enough pressure so that the note stops ringing (the string stops making sound). But still make slight contact with the string with your fingertips, or other parts of your fretting hands, fingers, in order to keep it muted when it's not supposed to sound.

2. On strings you aren't playing or using, you should look at the possible need to mute them with your picking hand. You can do this with the side or face of your palm.

You might want to have a look at the muting I mention in GF1 Chapter 1 as part of what the left & right hand are responsible for doing. Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes! Have fun.

http://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=1
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
usarmymedicine
usarmymedicine
11/10/2011 12:44 am
That was it! Thanks for the help!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.