How do you do this

jasonbench
jasonbench
10/22/2011 4:51 pm
I have tried to write several songs but they all seem to sound the same. I think I am a fairly advanced player but from some reason I have problems translating what I hear in my head to the guitar. I dont know how good the songs are but it is fun to wether they are good or not. Can you offer any suggestions?
# 1
Poppa J
Poppa J
10/24/2011 7:28 pm
Hey Jason, it's ok that all your songs sound the same, it's typical because you have your own STYLE and no matter what you're playing you always tend to gravitate toward your style of playing. The thing that helps me the most in songwriting is to record everything you write, so you can listen to it without playing it, nothing to elaborate, just a common casette player will do. When you get an idea or a melody for a song, record what you have no matter how short or long, then listen to it, this will free you up to change the way you want it to sound or the way you want it to go. Even just humming the melody onto the recording and listening will give you the perspectve as a listener instead of the writer, then you will know if it sounds good or not, then change it accordingly. Also, find someone to write with, 2 people with ideas can totally change the way the song turns out. Hope this helps. Good Luck with your songwriting!!! Poppa J
# 2
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
10/24/2011 7:30 pm
Hey jasonbench,

Check out this songwriting tip from the Guitar Tricks YouTube channel

Songwriting Tips

-GT Admin
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.