View post (Am I Too Old)

View thread

boigman
boigman
10/03/2014 6:35 pm
I'm 58. I played guitar and keyboards in a band in my late teens/early twenties before graduating college. As a young father, I sold off to pay bills, or had stolen, most all my equipment and after that pretty much devoted my spare time to kids' ball games and recitals, etc.

A couple of years ago, I spotted a Squier Stratocaster at Costco. It sounded suprisingly good when I fooled with it, and my wife encouraged me to go ahead and buy it (I hope she doesn't regret that decision too much). That led to a wonderful rediscovery of just how much I love the guitar. I feel like I am living in a golden age where, with digital technology and inexpensive CNC milled instruments I can get the kinds of sounds I could only dream of 30 plus years ago. Same thing with learning new things. With GuitarTricks and other sites, or even some of the better YouTube videos, just about any lick or riff I ever wanted to learn is available to me.

Now I sneak in a few minutes of time for practice whenever I can. Can't wait until retirement when I can devote some more serious time to it. My son is pushing me to learn the Hotel California duet parts so that we can play it together.

So enjoy the journey.

--Dave