View post (Am I Too Old)

View thread

Gunyin
Gunyin
05/14/2012 5:36 am
Originally Posted by: gdengelbrechtYou are definitely not too old :) A good idea will be to get a competent teacher, it will save you a lot of trouble and frustration. I have many students that started after 50 and they are doing perfectly well.

after years of thinking that I wanted to be a drummer, bought a cheap guitar and feel in love with it at the age of 51 and have practice with it everyday sence, you will get those chord progressions in time, the best advise I got about wanting to learn how to play the Guitar is never quit, its not easy as my instructor let me know but with practice you will get better and you will look back even weeks back and you will notice that you are doing things you thought you were unable to master and before you know it you are mastering it, one of the things I found is that, when there is something you are trying to learn and your just not getting it, stop for a while maybe a day or even an hour and then the next time you try to play it, you find you are a little better at it, then you practice a little more at it then leave it for a while again, this gives you brain time to connect with your fingers and before you know it you are playing it fairley will, but it all comes down to practice practice practice, and find your self a good instructor that is structured in his lessons that is help full and will make you more focused in your practicing as well and that is improtant, sorry this is so long but i had the same feeling and thoughts you did when I first pick up the guitar, and thought i would never be able to change chords with any kind of speed or accurates but now i can go thought my open chords with my eyes closed and not miss a beat.

Ron S
Roseville, CA