a mexican stratocaster??

3donkey
3donkey
08/25/2011 4:22 pm
Hi all,

I was going to buy a fender mexican stratocaster, model road worn 60s.
Regardless of the relic thing that I know some people like, some other dont, is there anybody out there who knows this guitar? Is it a good one?? Would you reccomand me to get an american standard stratocaster instead?

Thank you,
Davide
# 1
G1619T
Full Access
G1619T
Full Access
09/23/2011 9:28 pm
Hey,
Ive had several Mexican Strat and Tele's and both were great. At the time, when they first started to come out of Mexico, I noticed the craftsmanship and component quality were very good. The pick-ups are what really turned me on to these guitars. At the time the pick-ups were unique to the Mexican made models but are now used in many US made guitars. I guess there are quite a few over-wound pick-ups from Fender now but, at the time I got my Mex Fenders it was not widely noticed by the public. Only when you plug in did you find out. Like all manufacturers, I guess, the company has it's off days and also there are many more models being made in Mexico. When I got mine they only made the Strat and Tele in one configuration. I still have and use the first two I bought. When shopping for a guitar, a particular model, I check out as many as I can and chose the best one I can find. Just look for the usual suspects when it's concerning guitar builds.
G1619T
# 2
3donkey
3donkey
09/24/2011 12:13 am
hey G16,

thanks for sharing your experience. You know? I finally ended up with my Mexican road worn 60s Strat, and I love it. I did try also the american made and honestly I didn't see any difference in quality. Actually I even prefered the sound on the mexican, the one I got has tex-mex pick ups on it, the neck is more comfortable, to me is just perfect.
I realized many people are keeping say american ones are better.. but they never really played these guitars... there is just so much ignorance about it.

Davide
# 3
stonefingerz
stonefingerz
09/30/2011 2:35 pm
I have only been playing a few months and have bought/returned a few guitars, like the Epiphone Les Paul and a Telecaster (thank you, Guitar Center, for your generous return policy). My MIM Strat is by far my favorite. Feels great in my hands and love the tone.

Have ordered a Mark Knopfler signature Strat. Am keeping my fingers crossed that it feels and sounds as good as the MIM Strat.

If not, well...
# 4
3donkey
3donkey
09/30/2011 11:09 pm
Mark Knopfler is my favorite guitar player ever. I wish to have his signature strat too, I dont know how much it costs but please let me know how it is once you get it
# 5
stonefingerz
stonefingerz
10/03/2011 2:22 pm
The Knopfler Strat at GC (and most everywhere online) is $1600; I ordered it over Labor Day when GC had a 15% off sale. Next one of those sales will likely be around Thanksgiving/Black Friday.

Received notification that the guitar has shipped . Will probably have it in my hands sometime this week. Will let you know what I think.
# 6
3donkey
3donkey
10/05/2011 1:20 am
Yes please,

I saw some review on that guitar on youtube and seem very cool.
# 7
denny wittenauer
Full Access
denny wittenauer
Full Access
10/18/2011 5:15 pm
Hey Stonefingerz, you mentioned that you got the 15% off at GC on your Fender. Did you have to haggle with them to get the discount. The reason I ask is that they always list the Companys that do not participate in these offers, Fender being one of most of the major brands. I was looking at a Vox amp at the time but noticed the Vox was on the list so I didn't even try. Did you deal directly with a store or buy online, maybe that would make a difference. I was looking online. Just curious, thanks./
# 8
compart1
compart1
10/18/2011 8:17 pm
Hey Denny,
It doesn't hurt to try haggling.
I don't know if there was any sales discount when I got my Fender.
My wife is the haggler. My guitar listed at $399. She it for $358. She also got an upgrade from gig bag to hardshell case, stand, and one year extended warranty. It total out at $500 including the tax.
It pays to haggle..
Gordon..
# 9
stonefingerz
stonefingerz
10/19/2011 2:20 pm
The 15% off sales at GC (which are obviously great) usually occur around holidays (Memorial, 4th, Labor, etc). They usually set a minimum amount you must spend, like $299 or $399, to get the 15% off. When that sale is on, they won't bargain; that's the best they will do. Without the sale, GC will usually bargain some, again depending on how much you spend.

Like I said, I expect the next one to be around Black Friday.
# 10
denny wittenauer
Full Access
denny wittenauer
Full Access
10/19/2011 2:41 pm
I always like to wait for those sales. I was just surprised that they gave you the discount on a Fender since on thier site they list Fender as one of the companys that doesn't participate in the discounts. It seems like everthing I want is by a brand that is on that list so I don't even bother. I guess next time I'll try, the worse that can happen is they shoot me down. Thanks for your reply.
# 11
3donkey
3donkey
11/04/2011 3:16 pm
Originally Posted by: stonefingerzI have only been playing a few months and have bought/returned a few guitars, like the Epiphone Les Paul and a Telecaster (thank you, Guitar Center, for your generous return policy). My MIM Strat is by far my favorite. Feels great in my hands and love the tone.

Have ordered a Mark Knopfler signature Strat. Am keeping my fingers crossed that it feels and sounds as good as the MIM Strat.

If not, well...

So? How is the MK stratocaster?
# 12
flynhi66
flynhi66
12/22/2011 4:40 pm
I've had a Mexican Strat for a few years now and just getting serious playing it. I've considered changing the pickups and looking for any recommendations that might offer a better sound than the "stock" ones. Sound is for classic rock-n-roll.

Just picked up a pedal-power-plus and polytune pedal - the addiction has started :D
# 13
G1619T
Full Access
G1619T
Full Access
12/29/2011 1:06 am
Hi Ya'll,
Just in case you didn't know, be careful when buying guitars from the big box on-line stores. I don't know if it carries over to their physical stores but, check out the set up on your potential purchase. I tried the on line buying experience once. I also asked two other stores on their policy concerning set ups. I wanted the Epiphone Wild Kat. Saw a good deal on line at a big box store and when it arrived the set up was so bad I could hardly play it. I called the sellers and they told me that when I order a guitar it comes to me from their suppliers. Thay do not remove them from the box. The guitar also had a crack in the finish along the heel of the neck. I usually buy from local mom and pop stores and all of them go thru the same process.
They open them, give them a thorough inspection and set the guitar up before it goes on display. Thay also offer to set the guitar up, while you wait to your particular style. Once you start giving the small shops a chance and become a regular customer you will usually be able to get good prices for equipment (and guitars). All the people I buy from will look out for old tube amps for me and call me to see if I am interested. I don't care if they work or not, I'll fix em....
It may cost a little more at first but, in the long run your not only helping them out but, also yourself. My last purchase was a Fender Custom shop Strat the owner was using to give guitar lessons. It's a one of a kind. Cost me $1500 dollars. Similar guitars from the on line stores were around $3500 to $4000. The guitar is cherry and comes with a tweed case.
Just an FYI.
Rock It or Loose It,
Regards ,
Steven
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.