A thing im worried about

caponi14
caponi14
08/23/2011 7:03 pm
Hello good folks

I can say with joy that im now in a band, and we are in the progress of making our own music. For a record.
Im lead guitar player which im also very happy about. But a thing striked me last day though. I would very much like to do some solos for the record thats very ''memorable'' and all worked out, if you know what i mean? I want them to be good and strong. Like for example Sweet child o mine or stairway to heaven. I know it's pretty much to demand of myself. But how can this be approached?
With the variation of notes. With the right notes and scales?
We play hard rock music in the band. Kinda like Slash's snakepit or Shotgun Revolution, Guns N roses and so on.
How can this be approached?

Listen to the solos of for example Slash's snakepit and you will know what i mean. If i could do stuff like that i would be very pleased. It's not that i don't have the skills to do the one's from snakepit. But how do i come up with them myself. Any thoughts?

Thanks
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
08/23/2011 7:11 pm
Hi caponi14,

Our lessons include a myriad of lessons intended to teach you how to do some great guitar soloing by using the scales and getting the right voicing for different types of soloing. You should check them out! :cool:

Best Regards
Todd
GT Admin
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
SunKing1
SunKing1
08/31/2011 3:09 am
Hi, in my case it helps me to picture a basic melody in my head over the solo structure, and then I try to play it on my guitar experimenting around with variations and extension of that idea, until I come up with something I'm happy about.
# 3
caponi14
caponi14
09/08/2011 2:02 pm
It's just that im really not a huge fan of all those crazy exotic scales. I play the Minor pentatonics and Major pentatonics and the harmonic minor scale sometimes when it fits the music. also i play the Dorian scale alot of times.

But my problem is to be able to variate the notes in the scales and keep it fresh and cool if you know what i mean :)

I play Hard rock music with my own band and we are in the process of making music for our first album. I want the solos to be memorable. Thats all i want.
# 4
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
09/08/2011 2:32 pm
Well, short version/for starters, what SunKing1 said... "hear" the melody in your head before you even touch your guitar. Get that basic idea first, and then expand upon it as you bring it to life on your guitar.

Usually for memorable solos simpler is better. It can take a lot of belief in yourself to play something that's not super flashy but really fits the music. There's no magic recipe though for a great solo... you can learn all the scales, licks & tricks in the world, and still end up playing something that doesn't really connect with listeners. You just have to be yourself and allow your own uniqueness to come through. Its not hard rock, but listen to the solo by The Edge from U2 in "New Years Day". First off, you can hum it... secondly, I doubt he really gave it much conscious thought as he came up with it, but virtually the whole solo is played on the off-beat. Also notice that he uses a very in-effcient method of getting from note to note by staying more on one string and sliding from note to note rather than switching strings, but the sliding from note to note really makes the solo. These are things that he probably didn't think of so much technically, but just thought sounded good.

You can't sit down with videos & text books and map out the perfect solo using mathematics. Just allow yourself to tap into your creative side, put the theory away for the moment, and see what you come up with.
# 5
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
09/23/2011 7:27 am
Originally Posted by: caponi14
I play Hard rock music with my own band and we are in the process of making music for our first album. I want the solos to be memorable. Thats all i want.

Empty your mind =)
Then tell a story. Find out what you want to say with your solo in the context of that Song. Then think of what it might sound like if you put that story into notes. Don't think of such a thing as "making it memorable" or "making it technically outstanding" or "making it incredibly fast". Expectations can be an obstacle. If you manage to do that, it will be memorable ;)

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 6
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/23/2011 4:33 pm
Wow a name I haven't seen in a long time. Hello Az.

He's right you know. To me the best solos are not played from technique and skill but rather from feeling and emotion. The way I figure it is you have to learn all the technique you can and then forget it and play with emotion and just use the technique to articulate it.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
michaelsocarras
michaelsocarras
09/29/2011 3:19 am
Originally Posted by: caponi14Hello good folks

I can say with joy that im now in a band, and we are in the progress of making our own music. For a record.
Im lead guitar player which im also very happy about. But a thing striked me last day though. I would very much like to do some solos for the record thats very ''memorable'' and all worked out, if you know what i mean? I want them to be good and strong. Like for example Sweet child o mine or stairway to heaven. I know it's pretty much to demand of myself. But how can this be approached?
With the variation of notes. With the right notes and scales?
We play hard rock music in the band. Kinda like Slash's snakepit or Shotgun Revolution, Guns N roses and so on.
How can this be approached?

Listen to the solos of for example Slash's snakepit and you will know what i mean. If i could do stuff like that i would be very pleased. It's not that i don't have the skills to do the one's from snakepit. But how do i come up with them myself. Any thoughts?

Thanks

There is no substitute for practice. How much time have you put into creating that solo? Now double it.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.