View post (What makes a great song?)

View thread

Paul Moliukov
Paul Moliukov
08/04/2011 7:53 am
Originally Posted by: Andy MillerEveryone seems to look for different things in a song. What are the main aspects that you look for? How do you write something good? For me, good writing is all about song structure, the flow between sections, and overall melody. Without these, there's not much that you can do (even with good rhythm, lyrics, and emotion). That's my opinion. What's yours?

Hi dudes,

IMO literally ANY element(s) can turn the song into a masterpiece: rhythm, melody, harmony, lyrics, structure, even one single note. The keys to success are:
1. composer's "luck". I don't mean the type of "luck" that "falls from the sky" but essentially it's a result of composer's mastery and experience. See, song can be very cool in terms of "music rules and theory" but don't keep any "aftertaste" in your mind/heart. This "aftertaste" is exactly the power that makes you to listen the song more and more times.
2. performing musician's "luck". Again, it's all about mastery and experience. One musician can play 100 notes and say nothing, another one says everything by playing a single note over solo section. I prefer the second one who plays very "consciously" and with great FEELING. It's not about "what" you play, it's all about "how" you play:)