Speed Vs Feeling

TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
03/07/2002 9:08 pm
I've had this argument so many times with so many people that i couldnt resist it on here too......but i'm looking at the same **** i always see. People's opinions will always be divided. I dont think its worth me putting a huge self-analysis of my own opinion on here coz everything i think about Speed Vs Feeling coz its pretty much been said in everyone elses posts, so lets sum it up: You can have feeling without speed but you should never have speed without feeling.....and yes thats possible: try Yngwie Malmsteen who in my opinion only plays fast to show off and not to communicate anything. As far as speed with feeling is concerned, Jimmy Page is God :) (with Randy Rhaods a close second.)
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
03/07/2002 10:42 pm
heh.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
03/07/2002 10:52 pm
first-

why do you add to the speed vs. feeling argument if you dont like it?

2nd - i agree with you, anybody that plays without feelings is a ****er.

3rd -are you new here?
# 3

03/07/2002 11:50 pm
Originally posted by ^Chacron^
try Yngwie Malmsteen who in my opinion only plays fast to show off and not to communicate anything

Why do you say that? Just because he doesn't do bends? I don't necessarily say this to defend Yngwie (even though I sort of like his stuff) but to make a point that you seem to be another example of someone who judges the abstract, intangible concept of "feeling" based on, 1) a mindset geared around rock music, and 2) how closely a solo represents a cliched, bluesy bend type thing. I don't have anything against bends, but some people seem to judge "feeling" using people like B.B. King as a benchmark and ignore the fact that long before guitar came into fruition, beautifully emotional music was being created that often involved a lot of speed (some of the most emotional classical and flamenco music is blaringly fast).

Also, I put quotes around the word feeling because we're trying to describe the emotion attached to a sound, and that's something that's totally personal. I don't know about you but I think Yngwie is very good at creating anger and suspense in his angst-driven neo-classical genre. Aren't those feelings? Now given, I don't know if I've ever heard him play anything happy or upbeat... which might say something about the range of emotion is able to convey.

btw, there is already a BIG thread about this going... why don't you check over that one?
# 4
Bardsley
Bardsley
03/08/2002 5:42 am
Man, speed, is like, my feeling of the trip that leaves me sightless. We all just got to breathe a little in between sets, but when we want to rush, man, we just got to. Though no one can say exactly what I want to say the way I would want it to be said, though, can I be sure of whether what I want to be said is right?
In this modern world where (when?) we all drive our fast cars, and live our fast lives, do we not feel anything anymore? No, we do feel things, but they're different. I try to accentuate the knowledge of this in a short time, 'cause none of has anything other than short time anymore. The days of speed are gone, because what we used to call speed is now just a dreaming state of when we were younger.

This whole debate is fairly abstract anyway. We all inherently know that when we play our instruments we care about what we play.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 5
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
03/08/2002 3:03 pm
yeah, EVERY pro musician plays with Feeling! otherwise they wouldnt be pros!

Yngwie (Sp?) definitely plays with feeling. just becuase he's not black and doesnt do 2 step bends, doesnt mean he doenst play with feeling. even speed demons play with feeling.
# 6
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
03/08/2002 4:55 pm
Dude I'm a pro, and I just pretend to play with feeling!
As soon as I play the famous blues bend, everyone weeps... Ridiculous, just like the violins behind a love scene in a movie...
My feelings are anger, or joy and to me, they come through something else than the blues bend...

# 7
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
03/08/2002 5:54 pm
you dont have to do the blues bend to play with feeling, but on certain speed its like hearing a machine playing.
music like every other kind of art should represnt things from the world, feelings sights, anything that comes to mind..
When someone is playing too fast... well its like playing soccer in Ea sports games.. its fun and everything but its not the real game..
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 8
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
03/08/2002 7:00 pm
I do agree Zeppelin
Really this new thread reminds me of an old saying that
Ronald Reagan used to say.(And here we go again)
Also when i first started playing guitar where i
could put a feeling in my music i could't even bend
a note.And the feeling thing dosn't come over nite,
it could take years to deveop.(Some never get it)
No-body sits down with a guitar and says (Hey i'm going
to add feeling to this song.(Man it don't work that way)
I will quote from what a great studio guitarist from,
nashvile tenn said .And that is (Brent Mason )he said
sometimes a few notes useing bends sounds better than
a thousand notes in some songs.(I agree)
About the Pro thing that was mentioned there are Pros
playing out on the road right now that would't know how
to play with a feel if it hit them up side of the head.
I hear them all the time.Why because i'm out there on
the road alot.Let me define Pro=Getting paid money to
play music.I'm not just sitting in my little room or
jamming with my band and playing want to be heros of
the past .i have been playing more than 20 years like this its my main job and i love it.(My hobby is computers)
Check out the interview with Brent Mason below: http://www.cosmic-cowboy.com/masonint.htm

Read Part 1 and part 2 read how he connects the dots without scales and( playing with feeling) also (Jazz) with very little (theory) by useing chord shapes like i do
Also read what he has to say about the great BB-King,
SRV and some Jazz greats plus others.
Mark

[Edited by skee1 on 03-08-2002 at 02:35 PM]
yours truly Mark Toman
# 9
Branislav
Branislav
03/08/2002 8:16 pm
Malmsteen is a "masturbator" with no sence for feeling.
Blackmore and Page for example are not black, but they do have feeling.
Here's my theory about Malmsteen:
On the beginning he tried to play like Blackmore (that is still reflected), but he realized he cant so he started practicing scales and tried to make up leak of feeling with speed and created some mutant from him self :)
I don't like him anyway, but big sorry to evrybody who do do like hime, but I just had to say my opinion.

PS : this is reply to some message from the beggining of the thread, I cant remember.
Keep Rockin',
Branislav
http://www.stormbringer.1444.net
# 10
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
03/08/2002 8:32 pm
Originally posted by Branislav
Malmsteen is a "masturbator" with no sence for feeling.
Blackmore and Page for example are not black, but they do have feeling.
Here's my theory about Malmsteen:
On the beginning he tried to play like Blackmore (that is still reflected), but he realized he cant so he started practicing scales and tried to make up leak of feeling with speed and created some mutant from him self :)

thats not realy true.. he could play all the purple songs when he was like 11 years old, but then he started to listen to all the classical stuff.. so basicly blackmore is his biggest influence in rock but not his biggest influence...

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 11
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
03/08/2002 9:05 pm
For the person who asked, yes i'm new around here. For the person who brought up the blues/string-bending thing you've got it right, i'm very much blues oriented because my friend who taught me started my soloing with stuff like Hendrix and Zepplin. My first solo was a very basic version off All along the watchtower without the bends in it. Later I found the bending the strings and holding notes was a good thing to do if trying to simplify a solo.

Dont get me wrong, i love to play fast but i dont have as much variety when it comes to playing fast patterns of notes. My style with speed was influenced a lot by Kirk Hammet coz when i first started i was nuts on metallica. I later added fast stuff from Slash, Blackmore and Page.

I find the great guitarists are the ones who can use an effective combination of slow and fast solos: it gives a greater musical variety. My favourite player is Alex Lifeson from Rush and what i like best about his playing is that he achieves this balance superbly. (Oh, and he's a ****ing genius with string bends :)
# 12
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
03/08/2002 9:41 pm
Sounds great ^Chacron^
there for awhile i thought you was not going to say
anything or defend your self but u did (Great Man)
But you know thier going to ask you about thier
(Big hero) ha ha humor is great for the heart they say.

Mark (Peace)

I do agree with you on (Devided opinions)
They were devided in the other (feeling thread)
I will say this (You got to pay your dues to play with a
feel you got to get out there on the road and play music
with your peers YOU can't do this playing in a room ,
or at home with your computer it don't work that way!

[Edited by skee1 on 03-08-2002 at 03:50 PM]
yours truly Mark Toman
# 13
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
03/08/2002 9:57 pm
True....although i dont play in a band. I havent met the right people to form a band with yet. Sometime in the future maybe.
# 14
friskynibbles
friskynibbles
03/09/2002 5:36 am
malmsteen, imho, is a great technical player.
but he is wanker to the core.
i can't even stand to listen to it.
# 15
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
03/09/2002 12:22 pm
*LOL* and here we have our latest mega event:

Yngwie J. Malmsteen plays Yngwie J. Malmsteen! *L*
Over and over again *LOL*

haha

well..

feeling.. listen to Jeff beck or Steve Lukather and you know what feeling is :D

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 16
Branislav
Branislav
03/09/2002 3:49 pm
Originally posted by Zeppelin

thats not realy true.. he could play all the purple songs when he was like 11 years old, but then he started to listen to all the classical stuff.. so basicly blackmore is his biggest influence in rock but not his biggest influence...

if player X can play every songs from player Y that doesnt mean he is as good as X.
second, Ritchie played classical stuff before that (Death alley driver, Spotlight Kid, Difficult to cure), so it could be one more influence, perchance :) (Shakespeare)

one more thing : visit my new Blackmore dedicated site
http://www.stormbringer.1444.net :D
Keep Rockin',
Branislav
# 17
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
03/09/2002 3:56 pm
yeah, and here's my contribution to speed Vs feeling
http://lalimace.free.fr/mp3/bee.wmv

Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!!
# 18
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
03/09/2002 4:20 pm
Originally posted by Branislav

if player X can play every songs from player Y that doesnt mean he is as good as X.
second, Ritchie played classical stuff before that (Death alley driver, Spotlight Kid, Difficult to cure), so it could be one more influence, perchance :) (Shakespeare)

one more thing : visit my new Blackmore dedicated site
http://www.stormbringer.1444.net :D

i never said that he is good as blackmore...
but hes not only copying him. i once thought that way too but its not that true
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 19
Branislav
Branislav
03/09/2002 6:18 pm
well, he did develop his own stlye.
I couldn't say its bad, I dont like it, but when there is someone that likes it, it's not bad...
Keep Rockin',
Branislav
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.