View post (stupid question (maybe))

View thread

Marshallmk1
Marshallmk1
07/24/2011 9:33 am
I don't want to get in an argument here or p**s anyone off because that's not what this forum is about...

But I have to say this...so many people come out with the line that it's better to practice for an hour a day than two hours every other day and that is fine if you want to become an average guitarist...but the fact of the matter is that the greats of the guitar especially the speed demons practiced for many hours a day every day of the week...

It is a well known fact that Steve Vai practiced for 10 hours a day...Joe Satriani practiced for up to 12 hours a day...!!! Yngwie Practiced for about 28 hours a day then went back in time and played a bit more...:D

The plain fact of the matter is that 1 hour a day will make you a very good guitarist over the years but if you want to be great you have to make it your whole life and dedicate every spare minute to your art...

I've been playing for 27 years now and there was one point back in my early 20' where I would play for 6 hours every work night and then 12 hours a day ay the weekends...I had no life...It was work...Guitar ...sleep...and I made more progress in the few months I did this than at any other time in 27 years.

The hour a day thing is for the average guitarist...40-60 hours practice a week is for the guy who wants to master the instrument...

If anyone want's to disagree then that's fine...but what I've said is based on facts ( apart from the Yngwei thing) and from my own many years of experience. The basic fact is that the longer you play each day the better you will get...!!!

The trash heap has spoken...:P

By the way...I've had a similar conversation with Ben Linholm the instructor and he would agree...it's the hour you put in that will make you great...!!!