View post (stupid question (maybe))

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
07/23/2011 5:30 pm
Originally Posted by: Marshallmk1Hey Wingman
I asked a similar question of one of the shedding instructors...he told me that some people are born with that talent but were still the ones who practiced 10 hours a day...It doesn't matter who you...only severe amounts of practice will get you anywhere...:)

While people have physical limitations, barring anything specific, there isn;t anything practice can't overcome.

Let me say this, those people wh are the amazing players, practiced hours, and hours a day. Name a great player and I'd be willing to bet you could find an interview of them talking about playing for hours a day.

I was never a Steve Vai or Malmsteen but back 'in the day' (as many have heard), I had decent 'shred-ability'. I could play fast and clean....and I practiced for hours a day and I felt when I first picked up the instrument that it was somewhat natural for me. It still took lots of practice.

Let me say this, they key is comfort on the fretboard and muscle strength plus muscle memory to make it easier. Drills are the key, I think. Look at Lisa's Spider Legs drill on this site. That is one of those tools that helps you make that leap.