View post (stupid question (maybe))

View thread

JJ90
JJ90
07/22/2011 1:22 pm
Although I agree with hunter I put my doubts with the answer of 'being born with some skills.' Although this is somewhat true ofcourse you mostly develop your skills when being a child.

For example if you were a kid and throw a lot of stuff you might be better at basketball at a later age because you developed throwing more accurately as a kid. Then people will say he/she is a natural talent but is he/she really? I studied a minor child development so that's where I'm coming from.

Also almost every guitar virtuoso has really put together countless hours of practice and effort. If you got a good practice routine you will succeed at the things you want if you practice long enough.

I also would like to add that you always need to practice within your capabilities. Don't try stuff you can't handle. Ofcourse it is very important to keep challenging yourself if you want to get better, but do it at a tempo first when you can play it and then gradually speed it up still keeping in mind that you play at a tempo where you make no mistakes and it is within your capabilities. Speed will come with time, but alot of players just get caught up in the trap of wanting to get fast on guitar within a really short amount of time. This is somewhat an illusion. Getting up to really high speed on guitar takes a lot of time.

So in short, yeah you can achieve that but it will cost you time.

BTW, how are your fingers doing Steve?

JJ