Band Experiances, Tips, and what NOT to do as a Band

shaniab
shaniab
07/16/2011 4:56 pm
Hey guys, I am getting ready to form my own band here very shortly. I know quite a few people on here are probably already in one, and may have been playing in that band for years. So, with that, here is the question:

What kind of experiances have you all had as band mates. What are some tips you can give to a "Newbie" on forming a band and keeping that band together. And also, what to do and not to do as a band (i.e signing a record deal, booking gigs, ect.)
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
07/16/2011 8:15 pm
Pretty huge question. As far as booking shows, book anything and everything you can get. You need stage experience as a band. You can rehearse for years, but being on stage is a completely different thing.
# 2
shaniab
shaniab
07/16/2011 8:31 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Pretty huge question. As far as booking shows, book anything and everything you can get. You need stage experience as a band. You can rehearse for years, but being on stage is a completely different thing.

Good advice! Definatly going in the notepad of tips. :-)
# 3
Victory Hil
Victory Hil
07/23/2011 4:45 pm
Before you prepare to rehearse and book anything and everything, remember one thing:

MAKE SURE THE BAND MEMBERS you've invited to join are dedicated musicians, committed to the same goal you are establishing and are loyal to one another and to you.

One of the biggest problems I've encountered are band members who are wishy washy... uncommitted, and disloyal. This can ruin everything and cause you to look bad... leave you in a bind, or simply cut out on you.

These three factors are truly necessary to a harmonious (excuse the pun) musical relationship!

:)

Bless your efforts.

V.
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/23/2011 5:39 pm
Originally Posted by: shaniabHey guys, I am getting ready to form my own band here very shortly. I know quite a few people on here are probably already in one, and may have been playing in that band for years. So, with that, here is the question:

What kind of experiances have you all had as band mates. What are some tips you can give to a "Newbie" on forming a band and keeping that band together. And also, what to do and not to do as a band (i.e signing a record deal, booking gigs, ect.)

Get ready to go through lots of bass players. A good bass player is hard to find. Must people gravitate towards guitar so you tend to run in to many bass players that aren't that great because they are a rare commodity. Just my observation...

When you do, make them your best friend.

If you are just starting out, find someone you can deal with and hang with that is at your same level and can grow with...then stick with them!
# 5
hunter1801
hunter1801
07/24/2011 3:56 am
@ Victory Hil
That is definitely true in terms of making your band work. However to look at the possitive side of that. You yourself are gaining more experience wether you run into good or bad situations. If you have a good group, you'll learn things along the way with them. If you have a BAD group you'll learn a TON about what NOT to do. Everything is a learning experience.

@JeffS65
Very true. I actually am the bassist for my band haha. Picked it up since we already had a guitarist and I actually really like it now. Bassists are hard to come by and GOOD bassist are even harder. Lots of times you'll get the typical "guitarist turned bassist" that plays his bass like he would his guitar. It gets you by, but it doesn't add too much skill to the bands musicianship.
# 6
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/24/2011 11:19 am
I don't know if this is a tip or just a personal experience, but I had to make some changes when I formed a band. I think this supports the "stick with them" idea.

If you look at a lot of successful bands, often some band members have known each other since childhood, or since highschool, etc. My experiences back in the day were like that: we were friends first, then became band members. We already knew about each other, what music we liked, how we played, etc.

Now, many years later (after a very long break) I have changed instruments and have a band where nobody knew each other beforehand. It kind of starts us at a disadvantage. We've had some communication breakdowns. We've been together 6 months and I'm certain each of us thought of quitting a few times.

Fortunately, we have worked through those times and are stronger together because of it. Trust needs to be built like any relationship. I suppose some people look at it differently, but WE all think a band is more than just showing up for rehearsals.

Remember, you may be committing to dudes (or dudettes) you'll need to be around for the next 20 years! You need to like them. :)

The other thing I did starting it up was have A Plan. This did not work at all. :o

As a new lead player, and very insecure about my skill in that area, I started the band and made it clear to each prospect that I was basically creating a platform to be a lead player. It was MY band. I figured if I had control, no one could fire me for sucking lol! 'These are the songs we're playing, this is my part, this is your part, this is how it's played', and all the band needed to do was do it. I was being kind of a dick and the bastards had their own opinions. :eek:

Long story short, I had to modify my expectations. (The hassle of finding replacements made this unavoidable.) This is not the band I planned, this is the band that grew! (Rainey Wat*ers in da house, thank yew, thank yew) I'm a pretty extreme Type A, and it was/is hard to let go of control, to be quite honest, but worth it. What we do is better than what I'd planned or probably any one of us had planned.

But we did eventually write down a plan. Kind of a 'mission statement' that we all had part in and agreed upon. Prior to that, we'd spent a lot of time debating and considering when to gig, what it should be, when and where to record, when to 'go public'. That stuff we wrote down. May seem like coorporate crap for the last flower child to write a mission statement, but suddenly we do not spend time on those discussions.

That's what's happening for me. Good luck with your efforts. Do not get discouraged. It can take weeks sometimes to find someone that you even want to call back a second time, but the right people are out there. ...Ha, there's a niche for you: an Online Band-Mating Service :D
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 7
compart1
Full Access
compart1
Full Access
07/24/2011 2:07 pm
Good tips Razbo..
# 8
shaniab
shaniab
07/24/2011 9:37 pm
@ everyone :-D

Thank you all for posting you suggestions, tips, and things you've done as a band or as a band member. Keep them replys coming!! This is all helping out with making the band. :D All these tips are going in the notebook. Thank you all for the good luck wishes as well. I'm sure gonna need it lol.
# 9
shaniab
shaniab
08/12/2011 3:38 am
Hey guys, me again XD.

Here's a new question for you guys. When you finaly decide that your going to make a band, and there's no changing your mind, where can you find the people to make the band!
# 10
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/12/2011 4:10 pm
I used Kijiji local online classifieds. I expected the worst, but encountered pretty "normal" people lol. Everybody in the band came from Kijiji.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.