tremelo on floyd rose

fuhrysteve
fuhrysteve
03/07/2002 3:40 am
hey, i know how to use my tremelo and everything, and i know my stuff pretty well, but i'm having some trouble with one thing on my Ibanez RG470... when i bend up the tremelo, with the high e string, especially when i get up to about the 12th fret, i can only go up aproximately one half note before it dies from hitting the frets. now my buddy has a RG270 or some model like that and he has the same floyd rose low trs as i do, and his has the same action as mine, but the note doesn't die out. i've tried adjusting the truss rod, not much happened i don't think, and i don't want to raise my action any more, i think it's high enough, cause my friend's is, and i'm almost positive the frets are in perfect condition, i bought it new in january, and they look fine... anyone know?
Way Cool Christian Guitarist
# 1
maser
maser
03/07/2002 11:46 am
I have several RG570s, but I cant say I've had that specific problem. If you know how to setup the action, then I would recommend raising at least the low strings maybe a half a turn. I wouldnt mess with the truss rod. You could also try taking it to a shop for pro advice. If none of that seems to work...did you fill out your warranty card? :)
Mai Zure - So overdriven, he sh*ts distortion
# 2
HTF
HTF
03/11/2002 6:13 pm
Have you ever thank in the possibility that the problem is the fret??
When you buy an instrument you have to "tune" it, fix little problems.... The fret becomes a little "used"(sorry, i don´t know the words in english...) while you play and this situation causes milimetric diferences between the frets...(are you understanding what i´m saying?) this diference is one of the many things that is probably causing the note die. Hope it helps.

For Those About To Rock: We Salute You!!

R.I.P.
Not ever the faster the better
HTF ( prog_jam@yahoo.com.br )
# 3
fuhrysteve
fuhrysteve
03/12/2002 12:33 am
Originally posted by HTF
The fret becomes a little "used"(sorry, i don´t know the words in english...) while you play and this situation causes milimetric diferences between the frets...(are you understanding what i´m saying?) this diference is one of the many things that is probably causing the note die. Hope it helps.

what can i do to fix this man? -thanks for the help
Way Cool Christian Guitarist
# 4
river
river
03/13/2002 12:34 pm
the truss rod adjustment is not something i would
recommend you do yourself unless you really understand
how it works.you should take it to an expert. for a few
dollars someone who knows what theyre doin can hook ya up.
# 5
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
03/13/2002 3:52 pm
This is a common problem with alot of guitars, I take it that this just isn't a problem with the 1st string only and the fretting out gets worse the higher you go past the 12th fret? Assuming you don't have high fret, which you detect easily just by playing up the neck until the buzzing stopped, here's a few tips that might help, first don't adjust the truss rod, the truss rod has almost no effect on the action at the 12th fret and no effect at all past the 15th fret, don't be afraid to raise the action a little bit, it might not take much and really tremlo's need the clearence to play clean, if your Ibanez is a bolt-on neck (it is, isn't it) most bolt on necks typically have too much of a down hill angle from the body to the headstock, an easy fix is to put a small shim in between the neck and the body, an old fashioned razor blade works good, take 2 sets of pliers and break off a piece, be careful and protect your eyes, loosen your strings really slack, loosen the neck screws, slide the shim in between the body and neck, stopping short of the firstset of screws, tighten everything back up and try it out, you may have to try it afew times with shims of different thicknesses, when you get it right you can tweak your string height back down, good luck
# 6
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
03/14/2002 5:15 am
I reread your post and since you bought the guitar new in Jan, the first step probaly should be to take it back to the dealer and sweet talk them into a free set-up, I'm not saying this would solve the problem, but it's a good first step, then if that doesn't work try the steps listed above
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.