Replacing Humbuckers On A 60th Anniversary Srat

tonypal
tonypal
06/30/2011 11:55 am
I have a 60th anniversary HSS strat. It sounds great except for the lame fender humbuckers.(I never use the bridge pickups because it sounds terrible, tinny, shrill, bloody awful, but very sweet on the other pickups) I want to get rid of the humbuckers and replace them with a good noiseless single coil.

Is this possible as this model strat has the S1 switching which could complicate things.

Can I install a single coiuld and how complicated is it? perhaps other suggestions?
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/30/2011 6:12 pm
Try seymourduncan.com for wiring diagtrams.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/30/2011 7:03 pm
Originally Posted by: tonypalI have a 60th anniversary HSS strat.[/quote]
Is this what you have?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-american-deluxe-stratocaster-hss-electric-guitar/511145

It seems weird to me that Fender would offer an "anniversary" strat with 22 frets, a humbucker & updated wiring. :confused: Why not just call it what it is? A new updated take on the classic design. Anyway. :rolleyes:

Supposedly the pickups are already noiseless. And the S-1 switch gives you the option to use the humbucker in single coil mode.
[QUOTE=tonypal]It sounds great except for the lame fender humbuckers.(I never use the bridge pickups because it sounds terrible, tinny, shrill, bloody awful, but very sweet on the other pickups) I want to get rid of the humbuckers and replace them with a good noiseless single coil.

Do you even want the option of a humbucker? Because you might be better off with a more standard strat pickguard and pickup set.

Anyway, you are right that the switch could cause problems with a standard humbucker. You want one that sounds good to you, but also has an extra set of wires to make coil tapping possible. Otherwise, you are going to have to bypass all that stuff & possibly even remove it & replace it all with standard switch & pots.

If you aren't familiar with that type of stuff, then I encourage you to check with a reliable guitar tech. Best of success!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.