need pup suggestions to get better tone & they are tricky

headshop
headshop
06/17/2011 2:59 pm
Just got an epiphone nighthawk reissue. Pickups sort of suck. Looking for some decent minihumbucker, slanted humbucker and middle single coil that will fit this guitar. My tech is amazing and didn't seem enthusiastic about options.
Thanks
Headshop

H E L P
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/18/2011 12:01 pm
Originally Posted by: headshopJust got an epiphone nighthawk reissue. Pickups sort of suck. Looking for some decent minihumbucker, slanted humbucker and middle single coil that will fit this guitar. My tech is amazing and didn't seem enthusiastic about options.
Thanks
Headshop

H E L P

Pick Ups are as individual to the user as anything I can think of. Depends on your end goal too, ya know, what kind of music you play.

Pick Ups I've had:
Duncan JB - Hated it. To thin for me. Not what I've heard others say. I wanted a pick up with better definition. It did that but not enough 'ooomph'.
Duncan Distortion - Had a kick but I felt it was a one trick pony. I want to the JB from the distortion because of it.
Gibson 57/57T - Really like them for the application I have. Gibson ES333 hollow body. Nice and warm clean and has a nice feel when you have a 'little' overdrive.
Gibson 496 - Didn't like. kinda flat for my tastes.
Fender Texas Specials (Single Coil) - Fond of this pick up for single coil. Good mid to it and has a good 'oomph'.
EMG '89 - Probably my favorite rock/metal pick up. Powerful, clean and has definition. Good for lots of overdrive without lots of mush.

So, my suggestion is to go out and play guitars with different types of pick ups at your local store. You won't won't know what you like until you hear it. That's the lesson that I learned. Like the JB, everyone but me likes it...
# 2
headshop
headshop
06/19/2011 12:32 pm
Thanks
I have tried most of those you suggested. including 81
I wasn't able to try the gibson pickups, need a slanted humbucker, mini neck humbucker & I love the Texas specials have own several guitars and the 59 humbucker.
I play Hard rock, blues and classic hard rock. I am now for some motivational
reasons, taking Jazz lessons.

Thanks so much
# 3
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
06/19/2011 4:22 pm
Originally Posted by: headshopJust got an epiphone nighthawk reissue. Pickups sort of suck. Looking for some decent minihumbucker, slanted humbucker and middle single coil that will fit this guitar. My tech is amazing and didn't seem enthusiastic about options.
Thanks
Headshop

H E L P

A good EQ goes a long way for that perfect tone. :D
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.