The Guitar/PC or MAC/Amplifier setup

Elorien
Elorien
06/07/2011 3:31 pm
I would love to take advantage of the freeware and software that is now available for guitarists but I'm not sure what the safest? best method is to connect my guitar to my PC or MAC (PC/MAC which is better)? Also is it possible to use the PC/MAC as an effects processor and play it out through your Amp?

Thanks in advance, Elorien
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
06/07/2011 11:46 pm
This page has some suggestions:
http://www.musiconmypc.co.uk/art_record_guitar_on_pc.php

Check out the Behringer interface, that's the simplest type.

I use a MAC, it's mostly preference. I bought Pro Tools LE for about $300 bucks but there are plenty of options out there. Many pedal boards will go USB straight into your PC or MAC these days.

I'm not sure about going back out to your amp, I think the tone would suffer a little bit, but it's worth a try!
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
Marshallmk1
Marshallmk1
06/08/2011 12:05 am
I have a lot of experience with guitar to pc and I agree with Neal that coming out of the pc or mac back into a guitar amp is not the best thing to do. There are a lot of software solutions out there now that negate the need for an amp in a home set up. I admit that I've spent a lot of money on software...I own Sonar producer 8.5...Ik Multimedia Amplitube 3...Also Jimi Hendrix...Fender and Metal...and also Ik Multimedia Ampeg for bass... but to be honest most of the freeware is not up to much...but also the very best plug ins are not that expensive compared to buying a couple of top notch amps...!!!

As Neal said...the Behringer USB is pretty cheep and easy to use as an interface...

If you have any questions about specific software then I would be happy to help...I own a copy of just about everything...have no money left but love my set up...!!!
# 3
Elorien
Elorien
06/08/2011 3:36 am
Hey Neil and "Marshall", your responses most appreciated! I'll check out the Behrenger!
# 4
Elorien
Elorien
06/12/2011 7:54 pm
Hello,

Does anyone have the Behringer UCG? I recieved it yesterday and have been trying relentlessly to get the thing to produce sound through my Macbook Pro OSX 10.5.x and to no avail. If you have done thins successfully could you post a walkthrough, please? I've been reading from the Behringer site and multiple blogs and still can't seem to get it right. :(

Thanks in advance, Elorien
# 5
Marshallmk1
Marshallmk1
06/14/2011 9:42 pm
Hi there...I only use pc so I'm not familiar with the way the mac is set up but I'll try to help if you're still getting nowhere...

Are you trying to get sound straight out of the mac sound card or are you trying to run into a DAW like Sonar or Cubase...???
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.