View post (Refinishing old guitar)

View thread

lilleyen
lilleyen
05/24/2011 11:19 am
Thanks Razbo and compart1, I did give it a wipe after cleaning with Watkins furniture rejuvenator and it helped a lot, but I still have those bubbled areas and the scratches to deal with.
I'll look into the Tung oil option right away to see what I can do with that.

Should I remove the bubbled/wrinkled finish with progressively finer grits of wet dry sandpaper starting with 200, (I have 500, 1500, and 2000 on hand), or would I be better off using a cabinet scraper?

There is a guitar repair shop here in town. Would it be worth just having him refinish it, or would that be an expensive option?

Could I find out if it's a shellac/french polish finish by applying a little alcohol on a rag somewhere inconspicuous? It would soften/melt the finish would it not?
If it is shellac, maybe that would make the touch-ups a bit easier to blend.
rub it on with a pad (french polish wise), and then do some 2000 grit and rubbing compound stuff to it.

As for the two cracks above the sound hole, I'll keep an eye on them to see they aren't growing, but they are not affecting the sound (I think), and they are not really too visible, so I'll leave them alone for now.

If I do decide they need to fixed, would a judicious application of crazy glue/cyano fix them or is this something best left to a luthier?

Lot of questions...

Thanks again for the help.