Hey Raskol!!??

Elmo45
Elmo45
03/04/2002 8:58 am
Hey man I just got a new Wasburn XB-120 bass and I was wondering if you knew any cool sites and other instructural books for a guitar dude to get some bass chops under my belt.
Thanx.
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/05/2002 1:12 am
Nope.
I stopped using tabs years ago (except in times of dire need) so I'm out of touch with all that stuff. I pretty much got to where I am by spending WAY too much time figuring out Claypool stuff and am now focusing on developing more of my own voice.

Here are my suggestions:

• Ditch the pick

• Keep the thumb on your fretting hand planted right smack dab in the middle of the neck. Shorten your strap if you have too. You may look dorky, but you'll get around a lot better and will have fewer wrist problems.

• Start learning songs you like (duh).

• learn to fret with the flat part of you finger tips rather than the tip. Unless you happen to be working on American Life (by Primus) using the tips of your fingers to fret will only lead to pain and suffering.

• Generally build strength and callouses until that bass is comfortable to play.

Unless you got a five or six string, that bass is tuned just like the low four strings on a guitar (down an octave of course), so you should know all the notes and scales - now it's just a matter of getting used to things.

Email me if you have any other questions.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.