Rehearsal Layout

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/27/2011 2:59 pm
As the band grew, I had the amps & PA across one end of the space. We stood out in front, and it was easy to get a good mix in the room. I call it the "wall" config. :)

Now, we've added a drummer. I reverted to an X configuration with each player and amp in his own corner and we stand more or less in the middle. I have since found it really difficult to get a good mix. The drummer is not the problem, he's monitored a couple of directions and so are vocals, but the guitar amps are a problem.

I'm aware a slight change in amp angle can mean more than an adjustment to the volume knob, and I've been trying that and any other the tricks I can think of.

I'm wondering if I should I go back to the "wall" configuration? Is that the best config to go for if the amps aren't all mic'ed and monitored?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
03/27/2011 3:47 pm
I wish I had some help for you here but I don't. Just wanted to say good luck and figuring it out. And show us some pics.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
BKHamre
BKHamre
03/28/2011 3:50 pm
Razbo,
Though I don't know what type/shape room you are dealing with for sound, nor the number of pieces you are working with I can only recommend trying what I've seen from various performances and their setups. The Wall setup seems to be common, with the drummer being the center of the wall and the bass/rhythm on the wings (sometimes they angle their amps towards the center slightly while standing in front of their own equipment) and the lead guitarist opposite side of the rhythm guitarist (also in front of his angled equipment) and lead singer (if not playing an instrument) as frontman. Of course the amount of "angling in to center" will depend on the size of the room as will the volume of each piece. I've also seen variations, like Joe Bonamassa who uses a similar angled wall setup, but he also screens off his amps while using an additional PA system and soundman to regulate the sound. But that setup seems to be more for a performance than "jamming". Of course I'm no expert, but just wanted to offer some ideas from my observations.

Brian
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/28/2011 7:01 pm
Originally Posted by: BKHamreRazbo,
Though I don't know what type/shape room you are dealing with for sound, nor the number of pieces you are working with I can only recommend trying what I've seen from various performances and their setups. The Wall setup seems to be common, with the drummer being the center of the wall and the bass/rhythm on the wings (sometimes they angle their amps towards the center slightly while standing in front of their own equipment) and the lead guitarist opposite side of the rhythm guitarist (also in front of his angled equipment) and lead singer (if not playing an instrument) as frontman. Of course the amount of "angling in to center" will depend on the size of the room as will the volume of each piece. I've also seen variations, like Joe Bonamassa who uses a similar angled wall setup, but he also screens off his amps while using an additional PA system and soundman to regulate the sound. But that setup seems to be more for a performance than "jamming". Of course I'm no expert, but just wanted to offer some ideas from my observations.

Brian

What you describe is what I had tried that worked well. I think there will be enough room for the drummer. He gonna be right up with the microphones, though.

So this is in my workshop and of the 20 x 22 dimensions, I have about 20 x 15 for usable space with the odd table in the way. It might have to do until until I get sound men, screens and monitors. :D I have thought about soundproofing the storage room and micing the amps from in there. Hmmm.

Thanks for the input. Info on this topic is pretty sparse.
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/31/2011 1:49 pm
So yeah, went back to the 'wall' last night. Way better. And I would have to confess I'm a bit "OCD" on levels (ok most things), so this works much better for everyone involved :D
# 5
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
04/05/2011 2:27 pm
Have you seen those JamHub things? Seem like a pretty good idea...
# 6
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
04/05/2011 3:15 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardHave you seen those JamHub things? Seem like a pretty good idea...

What, and not run thru my amp? What are you thinking???? :D

Although I did check into those a bit; they'd be great in the right situation. The wall is working well. We have almost no issues with this set up.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.