View post (F Major - Finger Placement Difficulty)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/09/2013 3:02 pm
Originally Posted by: Ben PumpinerI can't believe you actually answered my post, thanks a lot.[/quote]
You're absolutely welcome. :) For future reference, I guarantee I will see & reply to a question if you post it in my dedicated instructor forum.

Ask Christopher Schlegel
http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

It's in the lower half of the forum home page.
[QUOTE=Ben Pumpiner]
What I meant is, that on the chord chart I think you should just replace the I,M,R,P with X, O, 1, 2, 3, 4. You've taught us that 1 is index, 2 is middle, etc.

Gotcha. That would work well for beginners. But only when you are playing in the first position (the first four frets). Because as soon as you need to move up the fretboard & use any other position (2nd, 3rd, etc.) you put your index finger on a fret that is not 1.

That could lead to confusion because 1 (the finger) would not line up with the fret number any longer. Very quickly you'd have lots of numbers for fingers that don't match the number of the fret.

The F chord is a struggle. We've all been there. :) Try some of the strategies on that thread. I've seen those help lots of students get the F chord under control!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory