Practicing dirty but clean

Jimmy Page XVI
Jimmy Page XVI
02/26/2002 2:55 am
Since I got the GT5 multi effects processor I have always used it to practice with since it has all I need to play (tuner, distortion, etc.). The thing is I got adapted to it! Today, when I got from my music class, I was too tired to take off the bag all the equipment so I just plugged my guitar straight to the amp like the old days...
What the hell was that????? I have adopted a dirty playing technique without knowing it! I could play a perfect song with solo and all withouth any substantial error in it with the GT5, however, today I could not do that without it. I was deadining the strings without even knowing it, my flatpicking was a bit off...
What I have come to realize, and now I remember my teacher mentioning something similiar, is that practicing with a guitar processor all the time is not the best thing. This is how it works, it receives a signal from the guitar which contains the note played, since the processor has a built in chromatic tuner, it analyzes the signal and determines which note is actually being played. Then it "purifies" the signal from any kind of imperfection it may have. This can be achieved from a compressor, a limiter, etc. The thing is that while I am playing I might (and usually was) playing dirty yet the sound came crisp and clear, which led me to the conclusion that I was doing it alright.
The point that I wanted to run through this post is that be careful of playing through a guitar processor because the same thing may happen to you...
Has this happen to anyone else besides me??
# 1
msula
msula
02/26/2002 3:55 am
I think when my digitech RP7 broke (only 2 months after I bought it... that's a different story) was the best thing that could have happened to me. I loved playing with new effects so much I got fairly sloppy. Then, I got sick of playing electric all together, and for the past 2 years I've played almost nothing but acoustic.

On the occasions I do pick up my electric, I'm 100 times better than before I pratcied on acoustic. You can't fake it with an acoustic, if your fingers aren't placed right, you can hear it. So the accuracy I have learned from that translates into my electric very easily, and the electric seems like nothing at all to play it well now.

Just my two cents.
# 2
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
02/26/2002 4:03 am
i once thought about that. the effects do make the mistakes less noticeable- even a wah - wah pedal. be warned
# 3
river
river
02/26/2002 6:12 am
playin with effects is a totally different job than
playin without em. its like 2 different instruments.
too many guys can only play with effects.i try to
play without effects as much as i can, but then when
i use effects i feel rusty. its just so different. i
suppose one should practice with effects half the time
and without the other half ?
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.