In a Nutshell – ZOOM G3

ren
ren
02/24/2011 4:57 pm

The world of effects is a vast and complex one, a world that remains a mystery to many but that we guitarists must master if we are to find our own sound. From wah to reverb, from flange to delay... the possibilities are endless, and this complexity is compounded with each additional link in the chain. Effects are available in many guises today, with rack-mounted devices and software on our computers; however, we will concentrate on good old fashioned pedals.

This time we'll be looking at the new ZOOM G3– a multi-effects unit with a difference.

The Science
The Zoom G3 Guitar Effects and Amp Simulator Pedal was unveiled at NAMM 2011 and should be hitting the stores right about now. It marries the ease of use and familiarity of a stompbox pedalboard with the power of a multi-effects unit. It also offers USB connectivity to your PC, opening up a whole world of possibilities.

In Use
I own and regularly use individual effects pedals as discussed over the months, and also multi effects in the shape of POD Live XT and BOSS GT8. The ZOOM G3 offers an interesting combination of the two approaches. The three sections of the G3 can be used as individual stomp boxes (using the factory presets or your own custom tones) or can be combined into a patch in the multi effects style.

All the effects you would expect are there – compression, distortion, delay, chorus, flange, phase, auto-wah, pitch shift... there are over 100 of them and they’re usable in any combination. I had a limited time to check out a G3 and found all the preset sounds to be a nice middle of the road example of the effect in question – it is then down to you as the user to fine tune and dial in your preferred sound. The preset patches were also impressive... an instantly recognisable SRV, Hendrix Voodoo Chile and U2’s edge were just a dial spin away. You can also download patches and load them in to the G3. The unit also has a 40 second looper and drum machine, which my POD doesn’t – fun additions for practice, and it is bundled with Steinberg sequencing software to give you some usable home recording options.

I must confess I had built up quite a ZOOM prejudice over the years – their products seemed cheap and lagged far behind the other manufacturers, but this unit is a big leap in the right direction. Metal housing, switches and jacks and large well lit LCD screens make it a breeze to use – it is far more intuitive than the POD and GT8... both of which took me a fair amount of time to get working right. I had the G3 up and running with some usable ‘standard’ tones in minutes. The growing stable of big name endorsees is obviously helping them out a lot. Now a contender when lined up against the offerings from Line 6 and BOSS I can heartily recommend checking out a G3. Expected RRP will be in the $300 ballpark which puts the unit in direct competition with the POD, but it compares favourably in many respects and is deserving of your attention if you’re in the market for a pro-grade multi-effects unit.

Features/Specifications:
Three large LCD displays and footswitches
Amp or stomp box effects can be used in any combination
Authentic amp modeling simulates amps, cabinets and mics separately
Over 100 built-in DSP effects
Create and store up to 100 original tones
Integrated drum machine
Looper function with 40 seconds of phrase recording and overdubbing
USB audio interface for DAW recording on any Mac or PC
Includes Edit & Share and Steinberg Sequal LE recording software
Over six hours of operation using four AA batteries/USB bus power (AC adapter included)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 1
ruksacbob
ruksacbob
03/14/2011 9:26 pm
I'm a LONG time fan of the Zoom A2.1u Acoustic Affects pedal, even over my Fishman Aura Spectrum (yea!) when it comes to acoustics. But I've tried just about every Electric guitar effects pedal out there, including the Pod HD400, which I currently use (and adore!). But it seems I am carrying alot of "unused" effects around with me and it's gettin' old (as am I). So downsizing is my aim now. Since I often perform with both an acoustic and electric set up, there's a tendancy to have way too much on the floor in front of me. Add the confusing colection of cables and A/B switches and it's starting to look like NASA set me up. So I just bought the Zoom G3 - and I LIKE! Easy, clean, and it's all there. Took a little tweeking, but I got the sounds I needed in short order. Most of us only use a few effects anyways, and I can always add presets, although few. The unit seems nicely made, rugged and surprisingly quiet too. TIme will tell, and I suspect I'll be using my HD400 most of the time until I develope some confidence in the G3, but I am pleasantly surprized with this one from Zoom.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.