F major chord= FRUSTRATION

terra25
terra25
02/16/2011 4:50 pm
Hi,
I had posted this in the barred chords thread, but I was looking for more feedback so I thought I'd start my own thread.

frustrated- F major chord

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, I know I said a couple days ago I was confident with practice I could get this barre chord thing down since my A major chord is now played effortlessly, BUT well, I just don't see how. Everytime I barre those two strings, the E string is muted and it's driving me batty!. I finally tried using my index and middle finger on the e and b string and then my ring finger on the G string and pinky on the D string and that at least gives me the sound I'm hoping for, but it takes a little bit to get there. I think I have better luck learning it that way than ever being able to barre. I don't think my finger pad is large enough nor my hand strong enough. I'll keep practicing it the right way, but I'm a girl playing an acoustic guitar so the strings seems harder to push down as it is. I wonder if other women guitar players have this problem? Are there any women guitar players out there?
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
02/16/2011 7:02 pm
I am a mere male, but here is my thought.

Ok, so you are using the 4 string variation (probably has a proper name). That's the best F chord to begin with imo.

When holding the B & e strings, you could try making a little barre with the end of your finger. It would be hard to hold the 2 strings with just the tip.

When I do this chord, my index is pulled back (or down depending on how you look at it lol) and I use the area from about first knuckle to the tip to hold the B & e strings. My finger sets at a little angle compared to the strings. Your's may or may not, but either is fine; this ain't geometry class, right?

The good news is, master this and barred B is easy. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/16/2011 7:02 pm
Originally Posted by: terra25frustrated- F major chord

I dealt with the F chord in this thread:

http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=260920

After you work on those suggestions, then gradually you want to add your index finger. Often it is just a matter of gradually, systematic practice aimed at building up to learning a technique, instead of just going right at the problem without intermediate steps.

Hope this helps. Ask more if necessary!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
terra25
terra25
02/16/2011 8:13 pm
Thanks Chris for responding so quickly. I will try that fundamental suggestion by starting with the G and D string placement first.

Razbo,
I think I know what you mean about the angle of the index finger. I tried every single position last night to get that E string to ring and it just wouldn't using the barre method. I guess I'll just keep practicing.
# 4
dougjt
dougjt
02/16/2011 10:29 pm
I can't play the F chord, I think we all said this before. I posted the same thing nearly 3 years ago. Practice and Patience it takes time to build the technique and hand strength to barre or basically do anything on a guitar, before you know it you will be playing barre chords all over the fretboard.... my 2 cents
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.