Competent Electric Git?

mcullinan
mcullinan
02/07/2011 7:42 pm
Im not looking for the standard guitar.. I dont care about brand names, necessarily but want a good sounding electric. Something I can have a nice clean sound, almost jazzy.. to blues, rock.
Basically an all arounder. I was looking at the Hamer echotone....
http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=402
Or this one:
http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=2044

I am looking for under 500.00 and dont mind non USA as long as its quality. Not sure the ones I picked out are quality.

Does it matter that its a laminated top in the case of an electric?

Oh and I like the Grateful Dead.. so I would like to capture Jerrys sound;)

Thnx!
M
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
02/07/2011 8:21 pm
I personally like the P90 model. As everyone will tell you, it matters little what a guitar can or can't do if it feels like crap in your hands. That will(should be) your deciding factor.

Either one should be versatile enough. Do yourself a favour and spend as much time as you can on Google searching " reviews". Harmony Central is a good site where they don't pull any punches in their reviews.

As far as the laminated top, I think only high end semi's have solid tops these days. They don't count so much in an electric for a couple of reasons.

Originally Posted by: mcullinanIm not looking for the standard guitar.. I dont care about brand names, necessarily but want a good sounding electric. Something I can have a nice clean sound, almost jazzy.. to blues, rock.
Basically an all arounder. I was looking at the Hamer echotone....
http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=402
Or this one:
http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=2044

I am looking for under 500.00 and dont mind non USA as long as its quality. Not sure the ones I picked out are quality.

Does it matter that its a laminated top in the case of an electric?

Oh and I like the Grateful Dead.. so I would like to capture Jerrys sound;)

Thnx!
M

...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
mcullinan
mcullinan
02/07/2011 9:09 pm
Any suggestions?
:)
M
# 3
mcullinan
mcullinan
02/08/2011 1:37 pm
Thanks for the reply. Ive been checking out brands. Ive come up with PRS Custom 24 as a good budget guitar and HAmer. PErhaps a Gretsch. MAybe this: Epiphone ES-175 Reissue Electric Guitar
Guess I will go & try them out at GC.
Thanks.
M
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
02/08/2011 2:17 pm
Originally Posted by: mcullinanThanks for the reply. Ive been checking out brands. Ive come up with PRS Custom 24 as a good budget guitar and HAmer. PErhaps a Gretsch. MAybe this: Epiphone ES-175 Reissue Electric Guitar
Guess I will go & try them out at GC.
Thanks.
M

Great idea. Take your time there, and make the best selection you can on the spot. Try and ensure they have a good return policy. Sometimes you just can't tell until you've had it home played it for a few days.

Be most concerned about how it feels. You can change pick ups to mold your sound any time in the future, but you can't change the shape of the guitar.

Incidentally, I recently picked up the PRS SE 24. I'm changing the pick ups, but that is just a personal preference for myself, so I got a JB & a '59 for it. The feel of the guitar was most important (and the fact that it stayed in tune no matter what I did).

You are listing some quite diverse models that are nothing at all alike. I'm sure some "hands on" at the store is going to help your decision a lot. Focus on the neck and the bridge and make sure you feel good at "both ends". :D Good luck!!
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 5
mcullinan
mcullinan
02/08/2011 5:02 pm
Thanks! Youve been a great help!
M
# 6
mcullinan
mcullinan
02/09/2011 8:51 pm
I think Ive decided on this guitar.. Love the sound.
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow Soapbar Electric Guitar
Now I have to go play one.
M
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.