Even simple-er question....

White Rabbit
White Rabbit
02/23/2002 12:41 am
Well, I'm very new to playing the guitar and I'm just trying to play Stairway. My question is this.

When the tab reads something like this:

---0----/8----7----

I read that as playing a 0, then sliding to an 8.

My question is how am I supposed to slide if I'm not holding anything down in the first place? How exactly do I play that. Right now, I'm just plucking the "0", then plucking it again and sliding to "8", but it doesn't sound right. Is that the way I'm supposed to be doing it?
"I am the Rabbit King, I can do anything."
# 1
Jimmy Page XVI
Jimmy Page XVI
02/23/2002 2:21 am
Ok, when you have "---0---/8---7" you are supposed to hit the E note and without hitting the string again kind of lightly hammer your finger while sliding up to the C note (8 fret). Although it is quite simple, it might sound wrong if you hit the slide too hard, if you listen to the Stairway Recording you will hear Page play that section very "soft". As far as I can see from your post, no, you should not pluck the string twice. Also, I have the transcribed series of Led Zeppelins recording and although to me it sounds better to play it as you just tabbed it, it appears like this: "---0---6/8---7---" It also tells you to accent the slide, just in case, to accent means to kind of make it sound more noticeable than the other notes in that section, it could be, for example playing it more louder than normal...
Hope this helps you out a little bit because you will see that same technique in a lot of other songs like Hendrix's and Rhoads...
# 2
White Rabbit
White Rabbit
03/27/2002 12:27 am
Thanks a lot, it sounds much better the correct way. Sorry for the late reply on this post, I haven't been able to play very much lately :(

I don't know how I'm going to learn to play if I don't have time to practice :(
"I am the Rabbit King, I can do anything."
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.