recording music

AnomiA
AnomiA
01/29/2011 12:03 am
when i go to record a song,i usually do the guitar part first.that usually turns out decent. it has a major fuzz humming sound.sometimes i like it, sometimes i dont.i usually put my mic next to my amp(crate XT15R). is there a way to directly plug it into my laptop?

Any advice on recording would be AWESOME!
thanks
AnomiA
PlethurA
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/29/2011 6:13 pm
You could use the headphone jack on your amp to go directly into your computer, but you'll likely need some sort of adapter, or an audio input interface for the computer, or both. For instance, I have an Alesis Multimix that I can plug in to a firewire port, and then anything thing I plug into the mixer can be recorded by the computer. USB is probably the more common connection type for these kinds of devices now.

As for recording in general, that's a huge subject. The old school way of recording guitar is it to mix the guitar amp in a sound treated room, usually using something like a Shure SM57 or SM57 Beta. This technique is generally used with tube amps, or amps that display certain tonal and overdrive qualities when played a loud volumes, or "over-driven". Obviously this technique requires a studio and a bunch of gear, and an engineer that knows what they are doing, though there a million examples of famous tracks being recording in weird places, like someone's bathroom or something, but the norm is in a studio in a very controlled environment.

One of the by-products of the digital revolution is the creation of "amp simulation". Companies like Line 6 have made electronic devices that they claim accurately simulate a miked amp. So now the need for mics and sound proof studios to get your guitar recorded with "mega tone" is negated. Amp simulation has evolved to software form, meaning you can buy something like Guitar Port where you plug directly into your computer and the software does the simulation. Digital amp simulation quality varies. Some sound really good, others sound pretty artificial, but its certainly something you'll probably want to look into.

As a side note, check out a post on the Listening forum where the guitar was recorded the old fashion way, with a high gain amp & mic:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8931064
# 2
AnomiA
AnomiA
01/29/2011 7:26 pm
thanks ,alot man. that helped alot! (that is not sarcasm).
PlethurA
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/30/2011 11:49 am
Here's a thread from a year or so ago that you might find helpful:
http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30782
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.