fender model suggestion

3donkey
3donkey
01/13/2011 2:49 am
Hi there,

i wanted to ask an advice since i was going to buy a fender guitar but i m still not that expert.. i would like to buy a roadworn 60s stratocaster, do you you think it is a good model? otherwise what do you think about a fender classic player 50s stratocaster? Also, since i still dint finsh my basic course yet, would you suggest me to practice more on my acoustic guitar before buying an electric one?
Thank you for your help!

3donkey
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/13/2011 5:39 am
I've owned a strat for a long time, its an American Standard, made in USA. Since you're new to guitar, I'll throw some opinions at you, and take em or leave em, I won't be offended.. this is just my 2 cents..

I think Strats are over-priced. I highly recommend you try before you buy, I've played a lot of Strats, and they are often wildly different in feel & tone, and just over-all "like it/don't like it". I've played Deluxe's that felt great but sounded terrible. I remember one super cheap Mexican made Squire Strat that sounded awesome. Just make sure you check out how it plays, especially above the 12th fret where these guitars are notoriously buzzy.

I wouldn't pay extra for a "Road Worn" model, unless you don't really care about the money and just love the look. I guess I'm old school and think its kind of weird to buy a guitar that looks "beat up" in an attempt to make it look like a classic or that you've been playing for a long time... but that's just me. If you LOVE the look, then go for it.

If we went to the music shop, I'd point you towards Jackson's, Ibanez, and some of the other non-classic names that will probably offer a guitar that plays much better for a significantly lower price.

Finally, be aware that Strats are a very distinctive guitar, so if you love the Strat sound, go ahead and dive in. You'll have to decide if you want to go with true single coils or the new noise reducing pick-ups they have now.

If you want to save cash, then go play a bunch of guitars at the music store, and let your fingers and ears do the choosing. If you open your eyes and the winner is some pink monstrosity with a My Little Pony theme.. well, you could ask for a lot of decals at the checkout counter. If you really have your heart set on a Strat, just be picky. You are, like it or not, paying for the name a bit... doesn't mean you're not getting a good guitar. Just be picky. If the guitar plays like crap and the sales guy says "oh, its just not setup right" then hand it to him and say "go ahead and have it setup, then I'll decide." Never put your money down on a axe that you haven't yet felt how it plays when properly dialed in.
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/13/2011 12:44 pm
I have heard the Roadworn models are excellent value. This is hearsay from a couple of friends, but they know their sh*t. I haven;t played one, and, like the slippery lizard up there, I'm not keen on buying fake wear & tear. I'd rather wear it out for real. Really never understood the roadworn thing...

Anyway you, OP, sound just a bit unsure what to do. I would recommend you get a Squier Strat for about 20% of the cost of Fender Standard. I had one and I highly recommend them. People use them professionally. Don't let the haters put you off.

If you can afford a Fender Std, go for it, but don't be hung up on brand names.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.