Picked up the Guitar again

mcullinan
mcullinan
01/07/2011 3:10 am
I played badly at one time and have dedicated myself to a years hard practice, hopefully reaching some level of competency where I can enjoy the playing and not concentrate so much on the technique.

I picked up a Takamine KC70 from Ebay and got a phenomenal price. I think Ive won half the battle since this is a sweet sounding guitar with low action and easy playability.
I am 42 and tried to learn in my 20s on a Sigma dreadnaught. It looked pretty, but was possibly the worst sounding guitar ever made. On top of that it was equally difficult to play.

So I have hope and hopefully some rhythm! ;)
And I want to say hello and GL to those trying to learn!
Thanks
Mike
# 1
Dan Acheron
Dan Acheron
01/07/2011 3:22 am
Welcome Mike! It sounds like you got yourself a pretty good acoustic! I have a Takamine also and its great! Keep practicing and you will improve!
# 2
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/07/2011 5:17 am
Good for you Mike. Some tips to offer, don't worry about "a couple of years of hard practice"... practice when you can, try to get to the guitar every day if possible. Short stints of focused, concentrated practice throughout the day can give you better results than long, single sessions. Keep it easy too.. one of the best pieces of advice that was passed on to me was when practicing, go at a slow enough speed so that you hardly ever make a mistake. Remember you're building physical "muscle" memory, so getting it right is far more important than playing it fast, and keep it fun! Also, try to make music every day with your guitar just with what you know. There are tons of songs out there that are based on very simple 1 and 2 string riffs, so take time out to just mess around with the guitar, coming up with your own ideas based on what you've learned so far. You'll get there, & before you know it you'll be playing better than you thought you'd be able to. Lisa McCormick's finger picking lessons are a great place to start out, and having you playing some stuff that sounds more complicated than it is to play.

Good Luck!
# 3
JonChorba
JonChorba
01/07/2011 7:55 pm
Good luck, Mike! Just remember to be patient and stick with it!
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 4
dman4505
dman4505
01/08/2011 4:05 am
Took a look at it on their website, that's a sweet looking guitar
I have a GS430S and love the way she sounds.

Don
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. - John Wooden

Reputation is what other perceive you as being, and their opinion may be right or wrong. Character, however, is what you really are, and nobody truly knows that but you. But you are what matters most. - John Wooden
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.