How to stay motivated?

Mark Harboe
Mark Harboe
12/08/2010 9:49 pm
Hi there,

so I'm currently struggling with keeping up my motivation regarding pursuing a career in music. The reason for this is the fact that I see a whole lot of people around me succeed, without putting in a lot of work to be achieving these various things. It just seems that some people can slack their way through this industry by focusing only on finding the easiest way to "get a foot inside the door". Sometimes it seems as if these people achieve more by just riding the wave or following a trend, than by being individual artists.
Somehow I can't see how that's possible.. because see in my world, you as an artist should be all about expressing you through your music, not just tapping in to what's hot at the moment and copying that.
Seeing people who, in my opinon, does not deserve to get to these high levels of success within the industry, is something that can strip me of all motivation and drive.

So tell, how do you keep up your motivation? Any methods or techniques to convince yourself that what you're doing is the right way to do it?

Thank you for your time and help :)

Regards,

Mark Harboe
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
12/09/2010 2:27 am
To pursue a career in the music industry, you have to really love it....and I mean really love it. It's tough to make it out there and a lot of it is just luck (right place/right time or knowing the right people). Have to be not only prepared, but WILLING to not make a lot of money, because the reality of it is that you might not make it big (in any part of the music industry, not just artists).
# 2
Mark Harboe
Mark Harboe
12/09/2010 8:56 am
Hey,

thank you for your reply :)

No question and without a doubt I do love doing this. and I'm totally convinced that this is what I want to be doing. I believe that we make our own lives and that luck rarely has something to do with it. If I tell myself that I choose to become succesful, I positive that I'll do everything in my power to be just that. That's the only technique I know so far... it works most of the times and sometimes.. not so much

on the money issue, there's got to be a way to earn more money as an artist besides selling cd's and doing shows? Ain't it all just about digging deep enough into your skill set and uncovering every possible way to earn some money? I know you won't be wealthy at first but in time...

what do you think?
# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
12/09/2010 8:22 pm
Bands make a lot of their money off merchandise too. T-shirt and random stuff like that. CD sales aren't what they used to be so you have to find any income stream you can like you mentioned. Gigs, CD's, merchandise......and that's all that comes to mind as an artist. Until you build your reputation and can start branching off into different business areas, but that usually isn't in the beginning. Not a ton you can do when starting up though, which is why people usually have other jobs when they are starting out, to pay for their music "career".

My drummer has the same ideas about luck that you do and I argue with him about it all the time haha. He doesn't believe in luck and thinks that it is all about being prepared, or something like that. Then again he is the person that has everything good happen to him, so it's a lot easier for him to sit back and say he didn't get it all because of luck, he worked for it. Reality is that he (and a lot of other people) get to where they are because of the familiar phrase: "It's not what you know, it's who you know".
# 4
Dan Acheron
Dan Acheron
12/10/2010 1:52 am
A music career is a hard path to take and you have to be patient with it. A way to stay motivated is think of the reasons why you want a music career. These reasons why should be a strong motivating force for you. Also create a list of different things that keeps you motivated. Whether the list is quotes, memories, or whatever. Read this list whenever you are feeling a lack of motivation. Do what you have to do to keep your motivation up and good luck!
# 5
Grandslam15
Grandslam15
12/10/2010 7:48 pm
Having fun should be your #1 motivation to play guitar. If your not having fun, why do it? and that goes with everything you do. Music should be fun and not all about becoming rich and famous. Just have fun with it! :)
# 6
stymye
stymye
12/18/2010 2:31 am
it's sad but to make it in the business these days you DO have to know the right people and kiss the right... That's a fact plain and simple .many, many top musicians will tell you that point blank.. however if you stick to your guns, be yourself, stay on your course, good things can happen.

get your music out there no one is going to do that for you,,,unless you know the right people(read first sentence)
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.