View post (No drug, drinking or mental problems?)

View thread

Mark Harboe
Mark Harboe
12/08/2010 9:11 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboCan you give a case in point of an artist actively marketing himself on the basis of his addictions? I can think of many who had addiction issues, some of which might have appealed to a certain limited demographic, but none that I can recall off hand making an active platform of addiction as a selling point.

I can't see a business investor considering an addict a good risk. They might manage to capitalize on it for a while (turn the PR slant to that demographic and all), but they'd surely be hedging against the day the addict either OD'd or Epiphonied.

So, are you trying to decide if you should go in wearing a tie, or totally fu'd? :D

Yeah the only one I can think of right now (also the clearest example) is a rapper named Wiz Khalifa. He's known for smoking tons of weed and mentions it in almost every song. I've seen him at business meetings actually lighting up one right on the spot... and I'm just wondering how a guy like that lands a deal with Atlantic Records?

haha yeah I was kinda wondering how I should approach a potential meeting.. as a total saint or as a junkie with a bad ass career :P