Lyrics is part of Song Writing - Writing Tips

SweetInnocence
SweetInnocence
12/03/2010 1:36 am
Ok, so I know people out there are having troubles writing the music part of a song, but people have trouble with lyrics as well, and even tho the lyrics seem easy to write, they're not. I am going to explain a method of writing lyrics that makes it sound more simple than it really is.

-What to do when thinking of a song idea-
Ok, so right here, this is where you start, the "Topic" or "Song Message." As you go through life trying to think of a song to write, you find that it is hard. It's easier than you think. Don't try to make up something that people want to hear in a song, think of something you want in a song. If people want a love song, you don't have to write a love song. A song is supposed to be an expression of how YOU feel personally. If you are angry, write a song about it. If you are happy, writ a song about that. There's a whole world of possibilities every step you take in life. You don't even have to write it about your life, you can write it about someone else' life like Craig Morgan did in his song "This Ain't Nothing" where he talked about a man he saw on the news whose house was destroyed in a tornado, but told about everything that showed something like that was nothing compared to what he's been through(losing his dad in a mine, his wife in his hands, and his best friend and little brother in the Vietnam War). As you go through life, write down things that happen, even if you think it's small. Music can change lives even with something so small to you. Music is the most influential thing in our world, and is very powerful. Things that most people write about in their lives are Break-Ups, but you don't have to write about that. There's thousands of options, so choose one!

-What to write first-
The Chorus! The most important part in a song is the chorus. Write the chorus first, and that will help you write the rest of the song! Some song's start with the chorus, some song's change the chorus. If your song starts with the chorus, you can just keep writing down from there, and write "Chorus" above the chorus and wherever you want the chorus to be placed. If your chorus changes like in my song "Follow You," write one of the chorus' and it makes it easier to figure out where to place it and everything else to write. Here is the Chorus' to the song "Follow You," where my chorus changes each time:

1st Chorus
"I~I will survive
I~I will hear your cry
I'll walk to you
And follow you till
I~I
I di~i~ie"

2nd Chorus
"I~I will survive
U~Until I hear your cry
I'll run to you
And follow you to
The~e
The gra~a~ave"

3rd Chorus
"I~I have not survi~i~ived
I~I heard your cry
I ran to you
And followed you
Into~o~o
The li~i~ight"

I'm guessing you're wondering what the "~" was for. The "~" was used to signify that a vowel is lengthened by 1 second. You have probably noticed where I put something like this "a~a~a," and that is to say after lengthening the vowel, you say it again. When you write a song on paper, you can do something like putting a "^" over a vowel as it lengthens or just as it's normal to signify that the pitch raises or "v" under a vowel to signifying the pitch lowering.

-What to do after writing a Chorus-
After writing your Chorus, write the Verses. What is a Verse? A verse is what explains more things in a song, and usually they are never repeated, but are just as important as the Chorus. A Verse usually starts off a song. Writing the verse is harder to do without having a chorus for the base.

-Is that it?-
No, I have one more thing to add. The "Pre-Chorus." Sometimes, but not normally, there is a "Pre-Chorus" in a song, and what a pre-chorus is for is like the chorus, and you repeat it, but you never change this one, and it always comes before the Chorus.

That's all I have today, cya l8r ;)
# 1
William Wolfe
William Wolfe
12/04/2010 3:58 pm
My approach to lyric writing is perhaps somewhat atypical. When I was younger I read poetry by Poe, Tennyson, Crowley, Dunsany, Coleridge and others, as well as being inspired by the lyrics of my favorite bands. I view lyrics as poems first, and have many notebooks full of these lyrics/poems.

I always write lyrics separately from music. After the music is completed, or at least in some playable form, I will go through my notebooks and pick out two or three sheets, begin trying to create a melody to sing to and try to fit words to music. I like to tell a story, and I very rarely have choruses in my songs. I'm interested in the story, not some "hook." Ever notice in pop songs, the chorus is all you hear? To me that approach really devalues the lyrics.

For topics, there's so much to write about. Personal experience is good, of course, but I like to explore dark topics such as history and war, the occult, sex, death and the strange characters that wander in the worlds of my mind.
# 2
Dan Acheron
Dan Acheron
12/07/2010 3:00 pm
Good posts. I will take both these into account next time I write lyrics.
# 3
Mark Harboe
Mark Harboe
12/08/2010 9:33 pm
Hey there,

I just wanted to thank you for this awesome post. I found it very informative and I could actually use some of the techniques you've mentioned (which aren't the case on other forums/posts I've been to). I'm positive that implementing some of these methods will improve my songwriting and even make it somewhat easier for me the next time I'm having a hard time writing.

So thank you :)

Have a great day.

Regards,

Mark Harboe
# 4
JonChorba
JonChorba
12/09/2010 2:30 am
Definitely a great post.

A good resource I've found is "Writing Better Lyrics" by Pat Patterson. He takes you some cool exercises to really push your writing into deeper depths.
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 5
granaghan
granaghan
01/04/2011 7:29 am
I just finished a song called "Yappy Dog"...

It was really easy to write. My next door neighbor's dog yaps and yaps all day and night. I was just hanging out and playing my guitar when the dog started barking, so I started singing back to it... "yappy dog next door- i'm probably not going to kill you- but i'll open the gate and let you go" etc etc. The lyrics flowed naturally. Of course, by the way, I would never hurt the dog or open the gate and let it out, but singing about it helps me to deal with the constant barking. It is barking as I am typing this... I hate that dog..

Anyway, point is, you don't have to look too far to find things to write about. All the greatest songs are probably true stories.. "Royal Orleans" by Zeppelin is a great example.
# 6
SweetInnocence
SweetInnocence
01/13/2011 9:55 pm
Originally Posted by: granaghanI just finished a song called "Yappy Dog"...

It was really easy to write. My next door neighbor's dog yaps and yaps all day and night. I was just hanging out and playing my guitar when the dog started barking, so I started singing back to it... "yappy dog next door- i'm probably not going to kill you- but i'll open the gate and let you go" etc etc. The lyrics flowed naturally. Of course, by the way, I would never hurt the dog or open the gate and let it out, but singing about it helps me to deal with the constant barking. It is barking as I am typing this... I hate that dog..

Anyway, point is, you don't have to look too far to find things to write about. All the greatest songs are probably true stories.. "Royal Orleans" by Zeppelin is a great example.

right, bring true in a song is whats best. if youre not true in a song, its nothing
# 7
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/16/2011 6:22 pm
The key is to be motivated by what you write. I agree that write from something personal. Always works the best. however, I have a fun little ditty running through my head for a while and have been mentally working on the lyrics. They are deep or at all personal, just fun. So long as it move you.

I went to a night music school open house one night and one of the trial classes was about songwriting and lyrics. First thing they guy said was to stop worrying about rhyming and get out the idea. Once you have the ideas out there, you can craft them in to something that flows.

Key is to stop from getting caught in the couplet rut. Even though the majority of the time, that's about how it works but if you get yourself outside of that, you might find a little something that you didn't expect and make you even happier wit what you wrote.

What do I know from Adam? It's not like I have a song anyone's ever heard ;)
# 8
Gregstrum
Gregstrum
02/07/2011 5:46 pm
Good info- Helpful for lyric writing ~ , ^, I will use these for sure. ty
# 9
rc52190
rc52190
02/08/2011 9:04 am
This post has probably been one of the most informative things that I've learned as far as song-writing goes. I write a lot of songs and I do all the instruments in them, with ease compared to lyrics. I've basically deemed myself incapable of writing proper lyrics but after reading this I feel confident that I can do them now. I think I just lacked any type of structured approach to doing it, so this is a great guide for that.

Thanks a million, brah :D
# 10
MJ66
MJ66
02/15/2011 6:19 pm
There is a great book by Robin Frederick called "Secerets to Hit Song Writing" cheesey name but really packed full of good info and tips. I keep a little book that I write stuff donw in. I'll hear a phrase or comment from someone and if it strikes me as a lyric I write it down. Even if you don't have a song in mind, just write down everything and you can go back to it later when you need a verse. Same for riffs and chord progessions you come up with. You can always take a verse, take each word and then list all the words that are similar and then all the words that are opposite. YOu can usually come up with some interesting things that way. Sometimes you have to know when to walk away from it for a bit too. You'll come back fresher if you have had a bit of a break instead of trying to force something when you are frustrated.
Just my thoughts.
MJ
# 11
JonChorba
JonChorba
02/25/2011 4:50 pm
Originally Posted by: MJ66 I keep a little book that I write stuff donw in. I'll hear a phrase or comment from someone and if it strikes me as a lyric I write it down. Even if you don't have a song in mind, just write down everything and you can go back to it later when you need a verse. Same for riffs and chord progessions you come up with.
MJ

What MJ is doing here is critical! You never know when inspiration is going to strike and you need to have something to record it! i tried the pen and pad thing but I'd always lose the pen. Now, I either voice record or email myself with my blackberry.
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 12
Jake Boyce
Jake Boyce
03/01/2011 3:34 am
Originally Posted by: JonChorbaWhat MJ is doing here is critical! You never know when inspiration is going to strike and you need to have something to record it! i tried the pen and pad thing but I'd always lose the pen. Now, I either voice record or email myself with my blackberry.

Any tips on actually remembering to record or email yourself? When I'm out and about, I always come up with or happen upon good ideas. I just never think to write them down/record/whatever and later on I completely forget the idea(s)!
# 13
JonChorba
JonChorba
03/01/2011 7:42 pm
Originally Posted by: Jake BoyceAny tips on actually remembering to record or email yourself? When I'm out and about, I always come up with or happen upon good ideas. I just never think to write them down/record/whatever and later on I completely forget the idea(s)!

The best advice I can give you is to IMMEDIATELY STOP WHATEVER YOU ARE DOING and then jot/record/email your ideas. I've stopped in the middle of conversations to do just that. Yeah, you may irritate people doing it, but hey if that idea turns out to be a great song, you could thank that person you interrupted in your grammy acceptance speech! :)

If that sounds too simple, it's because it is. :)
# 14
Ty Morgan
Ty Morgan
03/05/2011 12:32 pm
Originally Posted by: Jake BoyceAny tips on actually remembering to record or email yourself? When I'm out and about, I always come up with or happen upon good ideas. I just never think to write them down/record/whatever and later on I completely forget the idea(s)!

Jake, the old rubber band trick could be implemented to instill these new habits. Just wear a rubber band around your wrist and everytime you have an idea first, snap yourself for positive reinforcement and second, go with Jon's recommendation - stop everything and capture the idea.

When you get the grammy don't forget the thank the rubber band too:)

Also, great tips everyone! I'm not a lyricist, yet, but these techniques really give me some hope.
# 15
Dan Acheron
Dan Acheron
03/08/2011 8:31 pm
I always try to carry pen and paper with me at all times. Today I came up with some great ideas for songs so I wrote them on my hand since I did not have any paper. I have let too many good ideas slip out of my mind so now whenever I get an idea, I write it down to use! This is important because I always feel like I will remember an idea then a few hours later I am kicking myself trying to remember what that idea was!
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.