OFR Problem

DaCuda
DaCuda
11/21/2010 3:14 am
The low E causes a rattle on the trem and if I take a finger and push on the piece the string is actually sitting on it goes away. I see a small hex bolt that holds that part on, is this whats wrong with it? Its also the only string that has some fret buzz when fretting and strumming the string anything other than light.

Since I am in GF1 here at GT its not that big of a deal and I am sure I will have to take it in but thats an hour away.
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
11/21/2010 4:24 am
What do you mean by "on the trem"? Is the saddle or bridge buzzing or is it fret buzz?
# 2
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
11/21/2010 4:45 am
Sounds like one of your saddles is loose. Have you tried to tighten up the screws on that saddle?
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 3
DaCuda
DaCuda
11/21/2010 8:52 pm
Both, I think the screw for the low e saddle needs to be tightened but its a floyd and thats the one thing I did not get was a tool kit so I might just drive it down to the guitar guy to look at. It also has fret buzz but just on that string and only when fretting a note, its most pronounced when uppicking. Maybe the two problems are related. Its not a pressing issue at the moment.

I also noticed that when playing a note on the 12th fret its not the same tuning as open strings. So while a guy looking over the guitar and measuring a few things told me it was setup right is it safe to assume I need someone else to look at it?

None of this gets in my way right now as it is my third day practicing and Chris has you doing partial chords on the last three strings so all these issues, if they are issues dont matter to me much right now.

Thanks for the help.
# 4
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
11/21/2010 9:42 pm
If you strike the open E string, then strike the E string at the 12th fret. They need to both be in tune. If not, then your intonation is not set properly. It's that way for all 6 strings.

I think I'd look for a different opinion. Something is amiss if the open string and the 12th fret are not in tune with each other. As far as fret buzz? That "could" simply be that you need to adjust the height of your trem. Could also be a fret that's not seated properly. Which string is it that's buzzing?

Again... If you're spending as much money on this guitar as you have, I'd take it to a professional luthier in your area and have them do a professional setup on it.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 5
DaCuda
DaCuda
11/21/2010 10:54 pm
I am looking for one right and will do that. I have no idea just how exact the tuning should be using my Korg $15 dollar tuner. It is off but not by much but that saddle is vibrating for sure. I am going to get the guitar setup but as of right now its not all that important to me. I dont play through the amp and at this point the small things that are off dont get in the way of my play. Its just nice to know what might be wrong and I am learning a ton along the way.

I found a mom and pop that was a bit closer (40 minute drive) with a good reputation so I will call tomorrow. I am hoping they can also give me some lessons regarding string changes and basic maintenance. Practice going well though, none of this is getting in the way and the guitar is very comfortable, my only complaint is the strap, I would like to shorten it further but its out of room, might have to get something else.

Thanks for the advice.
# 6
DaCuda
DaCuda
11/22/2010 1:31 am
lol, I see how to do it now. I also just noticed this is in the wrong forum so if a mod wants to move it feel free.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.