Free giutar plans anywhere?!!!!!

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/13/2002 10:51 pm
help, I need help quick.. I've gone to sse they guy who teaches poeple how to biuld guitars, and he tells me I need plan of what i want to biuld and i want to biuld is essentailly a rickenbacker with 2 humbuckers/ tune-o-matic bridge/ stud tail pice so really it's more 335... basically it's a hybrid... first of all for before i even get started, I need a rickenbacker plan!!!
CAN ANYONE HELP! I've tried, but found only ones for sale, which is useless cos i dont have a credit card, and it takes like 4 weeks to deliver anyway, which is useless when i need them by next week...
thank you...
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/14/2002 1:05 am
Ouch...

And an ES 335 is a semi hollow body - not an easy place to start, (not that Ric's aren't tricky). I'll see what Sherlock can dig up for you though.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/14/2002 1:56 am
I've so far found the following:

http://user.aol.com/drfuzz/LPJR.HTM - Plans for a Les Paul Jr

http://www.mimf.com/ - A forum for building instruments. They have plans for sale, but at the very least you might be able to find some advice.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 3
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/14/2002 12:01 pm
thank you VERY very very much... I'm glad some one is helping me out there!:)

Rickenbackers aren't that difficult to make (apparently, being a flat top an' all), the reason i didn't want to make a 335, is cos it's an archtop instrument, and it's a little ambitous for a first guitar... plus the fact that rickenbackers look ace, and are made of the same material as a 335 (good old maple), oh and lefty rickenbackers are a real rarity...

(I've already found those two site you gave me, but your help is much apreacaited)
# 4
John O'Carroll
John O'Carroll
02/14/2002 4:33 pm
This link will give you various wiring schematics for different model Ricks. Don't know if this is what you're looking for.

http://www.rickenbacker.com/us/gschematics.htm
# 5
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/14/2002 7:07 pm
hmmm, this isn't what I'm looking for, however I didn't come across this before.... how did you find this?

What i need are plans (detailed daigrams with accurate measurements) of the body and neck... or the body at least anyway...
thanks folks....

oh hold on, there's some really helpful stuff here John, it's daigrams but with out measurements... i think we're getting warmer (thanks John!!!)...

oooooooh, I found some measurement on that site!!!!!, now lets see if i can get a diagram that prints (the ones i found earlier refured to! the motherfu£ing little munters...) this is good, i'm all excited now...

[Edited by educatedfilm on 02-14-2002 at 01:16 PM]
# 6
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/15/2002 12:58 am
Well, the thing is that Ricenbacker has a tendancy to make neck through models...

Making them a lot more complicated. Glad to see your finding some things though.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/15/2002 1:50 am
Actually, once you work out the dimensions, a neck-through solid-body is easier to build accurately because you are not subject to the strange things that can happen when you make the body-to-neck joint poorly. The whole instrument is basically one piece of wood, with the rest of the body tacked on the sides of the centre piece.

Most guitars are built as two sections because its hard to find good wood in the length required for neck-through designs.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/15/2002 7:21 am
The idea of gluing three sections of wood together accurately still scares me.

But then again, maybe that's why I had Ramen Noodles for dinner and not... well, something that doesn't suck.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/15/2002 12:42 pm
hmmm... Thanks rask... Your right, but my giutar biulding teacher guy says go for something else (i cant remember the technical term:().. basicaly from the discription he gave me, it sounds like a glue on neck? which i'm not too sure about..
Oh i forgot to mention, if anyone is still helping, I now accept CAD drawings... thanks!

Oh by the way, this whole course will be logged, with photos and I'll be putting it up for everyone to check, if anyone's intrested... Jarviss is doing something like what i'm doing, but he hasn't be back here for a dogs age...
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.