Are there any lessons on....

samata
samata
10/07/2010 6:25 pm
Using parts of the guitar as an instrument other than the strings?

By that I mean tapping, slapping, scratching, nudging or beating on (or whatever the terminology) of the body or other parts of the guitar to produce sound?
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 1
JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
10/07/2010 11:52 pm
There are 1 set of lessons by Doug Showalter but no more, It seems like there are not many if any other people in this community that know how to play like that or at least they are not giving up what they know. I have asked several times with little or no response from anyone.
God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”
# 2
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/11/2010 9:55 pm
Oh my! Well, I appreciate the plug on those lessons. Here are some links to those. Your concern is noted, and perhaps some more lessons will surface in this style. Agreed, taking the guitar outside of it's normal context is always a lot of fun. Enjoy!

New Age Acoustic Guitar Techniques

Many of these lessons explore that concept but in a pretty technical way. Are you looking for more effect driven stuff or just using parts of the guitar to make sound with no real harmonic value?
Douglas Showalter
# 3
samata
samata
10/12/2010 5:14 pm
Originally Posted by: Douglas Showalter Are you looking for more effect driven stuff or just using parts of the guitar to make sound with no real harmonic value?

Thanks! And, I'll check out that link. Honestly, I'm not really "looking" for anything in particular. I suppose more for rhythm. But it basically falls into the category of "I want to learn all I can about playing the instrument, I've seen people do this, and am looking for some instruction...."
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 4
JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
10/15/2010 5:37 pm
Originally Posted by: Douglas ShowalterOh my! Well, I appreciate the plug on those lessons. Here are some links to those. Your concern is noted, and perhaps some more lessons will surface in this style. Agreed, taking the guitar outside of it's normal context is always a lot of fun. Enjoy!

New Age Acoustic Guitar Techniques

Many of these lessons explore that concept but in a pretty technical way. Are you looking for more effect driven stuff or just using parts of the guitar to make sound with no real harmonic value?

It would be awesome to have more tutorials on how to play like this. Especially tutorials on what types of chords are used and how to understand all the funky open tunings. Lisa's finger-style lessons are awesome for the right hand but where i am lost is my left hand.
God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.