View post (A WARNING TO ALL GUITAR PLAYERS !!!)

View thread

msula
msula
02/14/2002 1:38 pm
speaking of taking care of your fingers as well....

Working on doing some cutting of cardboard and other objects with a razor blade it was getting late and I was getting careless with what I was doing. But I was using a box-cutter while kneeling down on the floor and cutting against a metal ruler. Being stupid, I went too fast and too hard and the knife slipped off the ruler and continued right down, across, and through my thumb :eek:

At first I didn't know what happened, until I saw the blood squirting up about 3 inches from my thumb, so I ran to the bathroom to trty and stop the bleeding, and it didn't stop for close to an hour. Upon further inspection I had went all the way to the bone and it was pretty nasty. Worst part, it was on my left hand, and you know how important that hand is!

Anyway, having the cut where it was I couldn't play for weeks, the pain was too great. Then.. when it did heal I noticed I must have cut several nerves in my thumb because I have lost most of the feeling to the base of my thumb. Now, I couldn't even immagine if that was my index finger, cut bad, lost the feeling... you know how hard it would be to place your fingers on strings w/o being able to feel the string under your finger?

Anyway, I consider myself lucky it was only my thumb, and do my best to take better care of my hand.