from Toronto Canada

Victory Hil
Victory Hil
10/03/2010 4:14 pm
Hi All!

I've been visiting Guitartricks for a while now, but only recently became a full member. Glad I did.

I look forward to interacting with some of you (on the forum of course); and I am hoping to learn LOTS from this site, from all of you and from my mistakes (again). I took piano lessons for about 7 years (as an adult) so I have a bit of the basics on music, but my real instrument is my voice. I sing (professionally) on occasion, but in Italian circles (that's my heritage background).

I'm older than most of you (I'm guessing) but that won't stop me from learning this instrument again (just learned how to swim ~finally~ last year) because I truly love guitar. Much of the music I have arranged for me has lots of guitar in it.

I've had several songs arranged for me, but I've been disappointed with some of the arrangements because they weren't necessarily what I was hoping for ~that's the reason I want to play again so badly~ I think it will give me more of a say. Besides this, I'm a songwriter, who has so many lyrics and not enough melodies. I used to work out my melodies using the guitar as my base. I want to do this again, properly this time, with more chords and technique than I've ever handled before.

I'm a hairstylist by day, wife, mother, woman and singer by night. I've been in several Cultural Song Competitions and I've recently submitted one of my pieces into an American Competition online. My musical 'dream' is to hear others humming my melodies and singing parts of my songs spontaneously, unfortunately, time is running out for this, but I have another dream that I've desired since I was three years old, (to see books with my name on them). This is the dream I hope to achieve before I leave this infinitely intriguing world.

Well, that's alot about me. I look forward to the months ahead, learning, sharing, listening, growing...

:)

God Bless.
# 1
Jerry Dylan
Jerry Dylan
10/03/2010 6:09 pm
hi victory hil
You'll have fun here learning guitar and having your musical skills grow everyone here is really friendly and I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Welcome
# 2
Victory Hil
Victory Hil
10/07/2010 2:53 pm
Thanks for the 'welcome', Jerry! It's nice to hear from someone!

:);)

I am enjoying the time I've spent on this website, in fact; and I'm glad to know there are a few interested, friendly, welcoming members I might interact with on occasion.

G'D Bless...
# 3
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/11/2010 9:23 pm
Victory is yours!!! :D
Douglas Showalter
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
10/12/2010 1:09 pm
Originally Posted by: Victory Hil
I'm older than most of you (I'm guessing)

I wouldn't count on that. We have some real "experienced" folks in the membership! :D
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 5
bunnahowen
bunnahowen
10/13/2010 10:13 pm
Welcome Victory.
I thought your post was very inspiring and I wish you good luck with your music. I took up guitar not too long ago as an older student " shall we say." I accepted that progress would be slower but with practice you begin to see the results. Never too old to learn or indeed to realise your dreams.
Best wishes

Bunnahowen
# 6
samata
samata
10/13/2010 11:01 pm
Originally Posted by: Victory HilHi All!

I'm older than most of you (I'm guessing)

I'm not sure that I'd agree with that either. I'm no spring chicken. You don't give your age (and, I'd never ask a lady :) ) but there's a good chance that I'm older than you too ;)

But, welcome anyway :)
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 7
MikeFaulkner
MikeFaulkner
10/14/2010 6:40 am
Originally Posted by: samataI'm not sure that I'd agree with that either. I'm no spring chicken. You don't give your age (and, I'd never ask a lady :) ) but there's a good chance that I'm older than you too ;)

But, welcome anyway :)

And i just feel old anyway, especially this morning! Anyway, welcome
# 8
Victory Hil
Victory Hil
10/14/2010 1:41 pm
Right.

Age is never a factor. Many say I don't look mine (some days LOL). In fact, I'm often complimented on how "young" I must be, but I know the truth and the truth for me is that age brings time bombs with it.

I have none... Time that is. My life is so jam packed with details, events, obligations, needs and desires... worst of all, there are days I understand completely why men go a little crazy during that season we call "mid-life". On those days I want to do it all "yesterday" today and I don't want it to end.

Okay. So I'm showing another side of me. I can talk in circles. I can write mountains. Writing is my 'love'. But singing is up there alongside, because when a person sings what they've written, giving away a little secret part of themselves, openly sharing the fragmented particles of thought, articulating them so they can be understood, setting them to music, lulling an audience with the sound of a voice... well... I don't have to tell you all but... we're talking 'magic'.

Music IS a universal language, meaning: the fact that I sing publicly in Italian (mostly~ except for at Church) doesn't stop anyone from listening. At work, when my boss (who is my husband) puts in a CD or DVD of my work, everyone stops to asks me why I'm 'doing hair' (a hairstylist by day remember).

But my doing hair is just as creatively interesting as any other part of my life. I meet the most amazing people at work. I learn, share and invent so much of what matters to me there, including my music.

My motto is simple: God made us to ENJOY ALL of life. Life is meant to be an adventure, but it can't be unless we open up to it.

I appreciate this site because I'm getting one more opportunity to do just that with the lessons I'm following here. So far, I've been working on GF1 &2. I want to learn it all, from the bottom up. I'm enjoying everything that I'm absorbing except the callouses on my fingers and the B maj.Chord. (LOL)

I can't wait to begin feeling fluid enough with my fingers that I can start playing songs again. I have an old Jim Croce Songbook with his greatest hits in it. They were very influential bases for me when I created my own songs using the guitar (back in the day). Right now, my fingers aren't moving fast enough to play them properly... but it will come.

Am I old?

You've all made me feel 21 again!

Thanks so very much for the warm WELCOMES!!!

:);)
# 9
samata
samata
10/14/2010 5:00 pm
Originally Posted by: MikeFaulknerAnd i just feel old anyway, especially this morning! Anyway, welcome

lol. You know, Bayer has a new Aspirin out that is Aspirin and Caffeine together. To "kill morning pain and get you moving in the morning". I saw that, laughed, and thought "oh....so, it's NOT just me?" :)
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 10
MikeFaulkner
MikeFaulkner
10/14/2010 8:08 pm
Originally Posted by: samatalol. You know, Bayer has a new Aspirin out that is Aspirin and Caffeine together. To "kill morning pain and get you moving in the morning". I saw that, laughed, and thought "oh....so, it's NOT just me?" :)

Oh i need at lease two expresso's to get me moving
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.