View post (Timing is Everything!)

View thread

Grandslam15
Grandslam15
10/03/2010 12:59 am
I cannot stress this enough when Im teaching my friends how to play the guitar or when Im practicing.

Timing is Everything!
Everyone who practices really needs to practice with a metronome. Even if you dont have a metronome there are plenty online you can use for free!
Practicing with a metronome will get your timing down and when you play with other musicians, it will be so much easier to play and to feel the timing of the music your playing.

Practice slowly
Everyone loves to play the guitar fast. But if you cant play slowly on time..then there is no way your going to be able to play super fast on time. You'll be way off and cant keep up.
Start practicing at 60BPM on the metronome...scales,arpeggios,licks,etc.
Practice in quarter notes, 8th notes and 16th notes before you change the tempo and start practicing faster.
If you need to spend hours and hours practicing at 60BPM, so be it. Just do it before you up the tempo. You will notice a big difference.

Its one of my pet peeves when I hear people say 'I never practice with the metronome.' Then they wonder why they cant play on time or play really fast and still sound good.

There ya go, if you want to vastly improve your playing. Use the metronome :)